PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Berg

Lurker
Mar 9, 2021
Australia
I’d just like to give a big thanks to the collective assistance for a newbie like me from this forum.

Only been piping for a few months but the following is some solid advice I’ve seen or received (in no particular order):
  1. Frank method for packing a pipe - total game changer for the inexperienced piper in my view. The other methods “work” but if you don’t have a mentor showing you it’s tougher.
  2. Dry your baccy before loading - combined with the Frank method you won’t be constantly relighting.
  3. Jar your baccy - This helped me massively, especially with Latakia blends. They tasted like mouldy horseshit in my pipe straight out of the tin. Jarred and left for a month, problem solved and an awesome smoke prevailed (smoking Presbyterian as I write this, which prior to this tip I’d have never touched again - it’s now my favourite!).
  4. Draw your flame to the baccy when lighting, don’t torch it directly. Saves the initial few mins tasting like hot ash and far better flavour overall.
  5. Slow and steady - take your time, sip and enjoy it. If you don’t have an hour+ to relax and enjoy your smoke, probably not worth lighting up (I’ll preface this with the fact I’m an infrequent smoker on weekends only).
  6. Coffee and dark chocolate - a match made in heaven when smoking.
  7. Aros really aren’t for newbies - like 90% of new pipe smokers I was drawn to the marketing and reviews of “tasty” aros. Reality was I’m not experienced enough to draw out and fully appreciate the flavours. Ultimately I was tasting semi tobacco flavoured hot air with the very occasional hint of the aro. It was a hard pill to swallow as I really wanted to experience those marketing descriptions on the tin.
  8. Don’t be scared by “full flavoured / strong” blends - I avoided these initially thinking they’d kick my butt (hence starting with aros). With some guidance from here, I was rightfully assured as a newbie it was the best way to taste and get an appreciation of different baccy types.
  9. Codger blends are fine - especially when learning the mechanics of pipe smoking. PA and Granger helped me get a far better understanding of what I should be doing as they’re really forgiving.
  10. Breathe method and retrohale while smoking - like the Frank method of packing, these changed my appreciation of pipe smoking.
  11. Cobs aren’t bad - initially I was skeptical a pipe 1/5th the cost of my “reasonable” briar would be any good. Truth is they’re great, especially after changing to a forever stem. Plus if you kill them, your not going to be on the phone to the suicide hotline. I take one ADV riding because of this commodity nature.
  12. Careful on chamber size - as a newbie I find 1.5” depth on a chamber about perfect. Anything significantly beyond that is just too much for me.
So those are my significant lessons learned to date. You may have different experiences, but hopefully it helps some fellow newbies.

Once again, I take my hats off to those who have provided the above guidance. If I ever meet Herr Frank I’m definitely buying him a beer!

LotusEater

Lifer
Apr 16, 2021
Kansas City Missouri
Great post - As a newb around here what I have appreciated the most are the tobacco recommendations I have gotten. I would never have discovered bulk offerings like Russ’s TastyKake, Burma Road or Tashkent by talking to the guy at my local B&M (a cigar shop with some pipe stuff for window dressing). Tobacco reviews are useful but it is so much nicer to get the opinions of smokers first hand - especially when you know from their posts that they enjoy some of the blends you are familiar with for some of the same reasons.