PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

appointed

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2013
A few months ago my grandmother and my mother went to Williamsburg Pottery. I asked them if they found any of those colonial tavern pipes to bring me one back. I was very pleasantly surprised when my they did get me one as my parents are extremely critical of my smoking to say the least. Now the pipe had a flaw in it. There was a crack along the stem where the hole was way off center. Nothing a little tape couldn't fix. With the tape patching the crack up, it provided a wonderful smoke and quickly became one of my favorite pipes.
Last week, as I was sitting on the porch finishing a very good bowl of Molto Dulce, there was some ash left in the bottom of the bowl. I thought nothing of it to simply shake it out as I had done many times before. As I did so, I heard a snap and my sixteen inch churchwarden became eight inches long. Now the great thing about a clay pipe is that a broken stem is nothing. I fired up another bowl to test it out and it still smokes fine.
Now the odd part occurs a few minutes after it breaks. Granny calls to tell me that Papa just made it out of surgery a few minutes before. So the stem of the pipe actually broke right as he came out of surgery. Inspecting the stem, the only part that broke was the cracked part. The damaged part had broken off leaving me with a shorter, but functioning pipe. Now I am not a superstitious man, but the timing of it and the fact that only the bad part broke off just seemed like it was more than a coincidence. I almost think that maybe it was a sign that everything is going to be ok with Papa. I reckon time will tell.
I was strangely alright with the stem breaking. I just have to get me another one.

appointed

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2013
Thanks coalsmoke. He is doing a lot better. Rereading my post, it seems that I forgot to put the lesson I learned in there. The lesson is don't shake or tap out ash or dottle from a clay pipe. Use a pipe tool. I have to say, I really loved that pipe. It was and still is a great smoke. I also just loved seeing it in my shadow for some reason. The only problem with clays is that many seem to very overpriced nowadays which is a shame. If you can find a decently priced tavern pipe, you should get it. They are a fun smoke.

numbersix

Lifer
Jul 27, 2012
I am certain that life sends us messages at times like these - seems to me you were paying attention! Best of luck to you and your Papa.

Status
Not open for further replies.