PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

The Libertine

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 19, 2024
Paris, France and NYC
As for pipes, I really like a lot of them, but am pretty controlled in what I buy. I’ll buy a brand new pipe once every few years and my max spend limit is $300 (tho a Castillo might be an exception down the road). I’ll buy estate and antique pipes here and there though if the price and condition are right.

See I prefer to spend money on tobacco now, figure out my palate, and build my cellar, which is close to where I want it. Prices and availability of tobacco keep changing for the worse whereas for pipes not so much. Hopefully after a few big TAD purchases this year in prep for some tax changes I’ll be set and then can buy a few more nicer pipes.

But like one of you said, it’s akin to having a stocked liquor cabinet and I like having choices even if it means I might have more than enough.
I am the same when it comes to tobacco. I can never have enough and it provides me with a variety.

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I get it. I enjoy burley and the plainer it is, the better.

It’s the flavorings and additives that turn me off of most blends.

I’ve developed an expectation that I’m going to enjoy my pipe and I’m perfectly fine with getting exactly what I expect.

Whenever I try something new, like yesterday; I cracked open a 2014 tin of Sutliff 1849 Virginia Perique. Yes, I could taste the citrus and plum and smell the vinegary tin note, but it’s not my “thing.”

So I grabbed a cob that had some 5 Brothers and just smoked and smoked surrounded by nothing more than simple leaf.

There’s a reason men started putting fire to tobacco. It’s a simple pleasure.