Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Oct 20, 2021
Dublin, Ireland
Can anyone tell me if this is a good brand of pipe? Can't find info on it. Its unsmoked and wanted to put it on ebay but no idea of price. Thanks20211118_212033.jpg20211118_212101.jpg20211118_212112.jpg20211118_212033.jpg20211118_212101.jpg20211118_212112.jpg

Last edited:

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Les Wood spent his journeyman pipe making years with Dunhill, specializing at one time in metal work, and eventually went out on his own with his Ferndown pipes, which are well respected wonderful pipes. Courtesy of a Forums members, I have one of them, and it is deluxe. I believe Les Wood is mostly retired these days, but the pipes are still around as estates. I'm sorry I can't price it for you, but I think it is highly desirable. I'm guessing about $300. It could be more.

paulfg

Lifer
Feb 21, 2016
Corfu Greece
Les made pipes under various names for different markets
LWood,Elwood and most well known Ferndown
Well made pipes
That particular pipe appears to have an after market silver band as it partly covers the stamping and I cant see the LJS makers mark that Les uses on his silver

Reactions: OzPiper
Oct 20, 2021
Dublin, Ireland
Les Wood spent his journeyman pipe making years with Dunhill, specializing at one time in metal work, and eventually went out on his own with his Ferndown pipes, which are well respected wonderful pipes. Courtesy of a Forums members, I have one of them, and it is deluxe. I believe Les Wood is mostly retired these days, but the pipes are still around as estates. I'm sorry I can't price it for you, but I think it is highly desirable. I'm guessing about $300. It could be more.
Really? Thank you so much for that

Western Isles

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 19, 2021
Tennessee
I considered Les Wood's Ferndown pipes superlatively well made. Each one I had was a great smoker, rugged, and beautiful to boot. I'd still have mine, but the sheer weight of them caused me to trade them out for the older (and much lighter) Barlings, Loewes, and Comoys.

Reactions: OzPiper

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I'd be a little stubborn on price with this pipe, figuring that some bidders might be looking for a low-ball deal, but if the right Ferndown collector came along, they'd be more generous. You don't want to stonewall, but I'd test the waters on price.

Reactions: The Irish Piper

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
I considered Les Wood's Ferndown pipes superlatively well made. Each one I had was a great smoker, rugged, and beautiful to boot. I'd still have mine, but the sheer weight of them caused me to trade them out for the older (and much lighter) Barlings, Loewes, and Comoys.
^^^^ Spot-on observation.
I have a couple of Ferndowns. If you are a BritWood collector, it's a must have marque.

Good smokers, but the the thick walls mean more weight, albeit cooler in hand.

However if it comes down to a choice of smoking a Ferndown or Dunhill/Comoy/Loewe the Ferndown often gets left on the rack.

Reactions: The Irish Piper

jpberg

Lifer
Aug 30, 2011
To be clear, OP, you want to sell this on eBay, and you’re looking for a price?

OzPiper

Lifer
Nov 30, 2020
Sydney, Australia
To be clear, OP, you want to sell this on eBay, and you’re looking for a price?
I have never sold a pipe on EBay, but have bought lots.

It can go either way. 2 guys deciding they both want it badly, and the price can zoom. On the other hand, with Christmas along soon, disposable money may be tight at this time of the year, and it can go for a lot less than it's worth.

You can sell on EBay on a "But It At This Price" or on Etsy, which is essentially the same.

Or list it on the Forums. I'm sure there are members who will be interested at a Ferndown pipe.

Good luck

peregrinus

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
Pacific Northwest
Yes please
There are a couple oddities with this pipe, such as the factory band over the stamping, I also didn’t see any stars stamped to indicate bowl size and it would normally be stamped with a finish designation, which would be “Bark” in this case.
That said, it looks to be a nice pipe and a guess would be $250.00, + or - $50.00.
All of which means little as the market will set the price. If your fortunate 2 or more will bid against each other and you’ll get $300.00, or it won’t garner much interest and the best you might receive is $200.00 - or even less, sometimes you eat the bear and sometimes the bear eats you on eBay.
If you are a pipe smoker you may want to just smoke it as these are darn fine pipes and you’ll be hard pressed to find something of similar quality and unsmoked for the same price.

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Free/Complimentary maybe?
Could be, not a clue actually . The marking on LW pipes is often inconsequent .
With or without the stars, no finish desingation stamp etc.
This is a beautiful legit Les Wood pipe and that is what matters, though the factory (repair ? ) band covering the
nomenclature works somewhat disheartening to me. If it were not a legit LW silver band I'd carefully remove it.