PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

eugenepark

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 13, 2018
Oklahoma
Last week I bought a jug of Gold Peak lemonade iced tea and started to have it as my drink while smoking my pipes.

All of a sudden my pipes started to taste just terrible. I could only get an old ash tray taste from anything I smoked.

Didnt put two and two together and started to think I had some permanent change that messed up my flavor perception.

Well I finished the jug so I’m back to ice water as my smoking drink and the flavors are back. Phew.

But how odd. The tea may have been too sweet and left a coating in the mouth.

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
I drink sweet iced tea all day but switch to water when I smoke my pipe. I do drink tea on occasion if I'm smoking a straight Virginia with no ill effect. The problem may the additives in bottled tea. I brew my own.

Reactions: 02Knight

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Last week I bought a jug of Gold Peak lemonade iced tea and started to have it as my drink while smoking my pipes.

All of a sudden my pipes started to taste just terrible. I could only get an old ash tray taste from anything I smoked.

Didnt put two and two together and started to think I had some permanent change that messed up my flavor perception.

Well I finished the jug so I’m back to ice water as my smoking drink and the flavors are back. Phew.

But how odd. The tea may have been too sweet and left a coating in the mouth.

And thats where you made your mistake. I don't know what the make Gold Peak Iced "Tea" from but it is - in my opinion - the worst pre-made tea on the market. I can only imagine how they could screw up lemonade too.

Make you own jug of ice tea (or buy a jug of Milo's if you can get it) and smoke your pipe. Milo also makes a good lemonade.

Whatever you do, just pass on Gold Peak. I would only buy Gold Peak if I need a jug I could piss in.

First... I have always wondered who the people were that bought jugs of tea. Wow! Why not just take a minute and make some. It's so much better. I will add my own lemon or lime and I will snatch a large sprig of mint out of the garden also. Mmmmm....

But, acidic drinks like lemon or mint teas (or Mountain Dew or a Ginger Beer), I find compliments very acidic tobaccos very well. I love setting on my porch after yard work smoking some straight Virginia with an sweet bitey tea.

But, if I drink acidic tea with a burley or a latakia... BLECH!!!
Just the same for drinking milk with a bitey Virginia, BLECH!!!
When I combine an acid with a base, I get a reaction on my tongue, like vinegar and baking soda. It can ruin my taste buds for a while. So, I pair acid with acid, base with base... no not milk. I can't bring myself to actually drink milk these days.

But, I can never go wrong with coffee. Coffee goes with anything, IMO.

briarbuck

Lifer
Nov 24, 2015
Gold Peak has 50 grams of High Fructose corn syrup (garbage) per 12 ounce serving. That's more than a Coke.

I do sun tea and put a splash of "Simply Lemonade" brand in there. Ends up being < 10gms and it's real juice, sugar in 20 ounces.

• Wow
Reactions: username and dcon

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
When I drink iced tea with my pipes I drink Luzianne decaf as I only drink tea at night. I make it myself and use only Stevia instead of sugar. If I am going to just guzzle a glass and not smoke with it I will put a big hunk of lemon in it. If I am going to smoke a pipe with it I drop the lemon. As hoosierguy stated earlier, citrus and pipes don't work for him and it is the same with me for some reason. I am guessing it is my uric acid levels as those are usually high. I also have noticed that if you have been smoking a couple of hours and you try and drink a glass of cranberry, or orange juice, it will give you a real, stinging on the tongue.
Although I haven't needed it for years Biotene is your friend. It will help with the burn, dryness, most mouth and tongue issues. When I found it years ago it was quite handy. Now I can scrape my tongue on an asphalt street doing 60 and I have no problems.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I think the combination increases the distortion of the flavor(s) of your blends. The tannin in the tea and the acid in the lemon, or at least those flavors whether natural or not, are already tugging the taste buds around. Whatever the blend is trying to do, it is pretty well blocked and muted by the beverage. Someone might find it an ideal beverage with a pipe blend, but it would be rare, I think.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
On the road I drink the Arnold Palmer when I can find it. Never seen it in Canada. At home I make my own iced/sweet tea. Never had a problem with any blend while drinking tea, milk, port or any beverage I can remember, even kvass in Russia.

Reactions: dcon

J.GANDY

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 12, 2020
Savannah,Georgia
Brew your own teas, many to choose from obviously. I enjoy varieties of tea while smoking. Green tea with lemon or lime is great with Virginias. But to each their own, you don't have to pair anything with your pipe of course. Coffee is always a good choice aswell if you are a coffee drinker, you could try different roast.

Reactions: cosmicfolklore

bullet08

Lifer
Nov 26, 2018
RTP, NC. USA
Don't know about lemonade iced tea, but I like my coffee with hazelnut cream. If I have coffee with smoke, I can't taste anything.