PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Duke of Erinmore

Can't Leave
Jul 5, 2020
Bayreuth, Bavaria, Germany
As I could not reply to the first Troost Slices thread, I will start a new one and publish this review here.

I am often on the road in the Netherlands and on one of my trips I bought the most common tobacco there - the Troost Slices. It must be said that the Troost Slices are not "Dutch" tobacco - it is characterized by the fact that it is cut very finely (krul) and necessarily contains Java. Typical representatives are "Stad Ootmarsum" or - if its name has not fallen victim to some language purification - the "Voortrekker".

But back to the slices.

Also, as so often, it is no longer the "original tobacco", but a remake from STG "after the original recipe". The original tobacco was produced by the van Rossem company under the slogan Gezond en gezellig roken in Rotterdam, and from 1991 onwards by Niemeyer in Groningen. In 2007 BAT (the Niemeyer owner) transferred all pipe tobacco brands to STG. The indication "Imported from Holland" on the tin is not more than folklore, because on the back it says "Made in Denmark by STG Assens".

The Troost Slices are a Virginia Burley flake, and as so often, opinions differ on whether or not it contains a casing. We have a light, almost golden brown flake in front of us - accurately cut like the planks of a platbodem on the Ijsselmeer. A wonderful aroma of fresh farmhouse bread rises from the tin.

img_0276.jpg

It is rather difficult to light the flake, but as soon as it burns, the burley is immediately noticeable. The first third is very spicy before the naturally sweet Virginias kick in. After the first few bowls I would rather deny the question about the casing, but when it's there, it fits perfectly into the overall picture. The tobacco is really fun, and something that rarely happens to me: I didn't notice when it was finished. I re-ignited it several times and noticed - oops, there's nothing left in it to burn. That speaks for the high quality of this tobacco, that it glows through unchanged until the end and doesn't get bitter at all. In general, I find it surprisingly mild for a tobacco where the burley comes from the front. I would estimate the strength in the lower midfield.

Conclusion: Lekker smaakelijk for friends of natural tobacco

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
This is rare for me but, Troost Slices was (maybe still, is) the absolute worst tobacco that I ever smoked. I will state that it has been over 40 years since I have had this tobacco and I am (more than likely) sure that it is no longer the same tobacco. Whatever this was topped with 40 years ago was unidentifiably horrible. I currently have over 400 blends and I guarantee that Troost Slices is not one of them. I am still trying new blends but, even if this is a new incarnation, Troost Slices will always be a mnemonic for ‘shit‘ for me.

Duke of Erinmore

Can't Leave
Jul 5, 2020
Bayreuth, Bavaria, Germany
This is rare for me but, Troost Slices was (maybe still, is) the absolute worst tobacco that I ever smoked. I will state that it has been over 40 years since I have had this tobacco and I am (more than likely) sure that it is no longer the same tobacco. Whatever this was topped with 40 years ago was unidentifiably horrible. I currently have over 400 blends and I guarantee that Troost Slices is not one of them. I am still trying new blends but, even if this is a new incarnation, Troost Slices will always be a mnemonic for ‘shit‘ for me.

Interesting - that would be the "original" Rotterdam version which I have never tried. I cannot imagine that the current version is a love-or-hate blend, as I did not notice any top flavor at all (unlikely that it has already disappeared in a sealed tin from 2018 when I purchased it).

It's just straight VaBur, like it or not, but I really suppose we are talking different tobaccos. Anyone here who has smoked both?

Status
Not open for further replies.