PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

sinistertopiary

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 5, 2009
Toronto
Smoking ban urged for condos & apartments
Peel's top public health officials are lobbying to ban smoking from apartments and condos in an effort to limit second-hand smoke inhalation.
If their push is successful, apartment dwellers would not be able to smoke in their own homes.
The region's council is going to examine a report co-authored by Commissioner of Health Services Janette Smith, and Dr. David Mowat, Peel's medical officer of health.
Their report says that Peel Public Health has received complaints from apartment tenants about smoke seeping into their homes.
"Tobacco smoke can seep from various openings in a multi-unit dwelling, including electrical outlets, plumbing, ductwork, ceiling light fixtures, cracks in wall, floors or doors and through common areas, such as hallways," wrote Smith and Mowat in the report. "Some units may share ventilation or heating systems, which can further spread the smoke throughout a building."
Their findings prompted an investigation into whether the city has the authority to ban smoking inside apartments.
Under the Municipal Act of 2001, Peel can invoke a bylaw preventing tenants from smoking, but Smith and Mowat suggest the best route would be to persuade Queen's Park to enact a province-wide ban.
etc.
If you think the anti-smoking crusade in the states is bad you haven't been to Ontario recently.
(Interesting reader comments too, by the way. Reminiscent of the implacable positions taken in the abortion "debate".)
PS BTW, I love Toronto & Ontario -- just not crazy about the power the anti-smoking crusaders have here, which is considerable.

chuckw

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 7, 2009
Between the truckdriver getting nailed for smoking in his truck and this bit of idiocy, I'm glad I live in No. Carolina.

If I'm lucky, I'll be long dead before something like that gets here.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Just when you thought you couldn't hear anything any more absurd ...
One time years ago when I was living in an apartment, I was practicing playing my electric bass. I had it on a low volume and it was early evening.
I had a neighbor that frequently complained. After about the 3rd or 4th time, when she came to the door I said this:
You live in an apartment. If you do not want to deal with other people than why don't you buy a house out in the country somewhere.
I think she moved a little while later.
As to what's going on in Canada, I know this was already old news when I posted it, but most people in the US don't know how bad it is regarding tobacco there.
Here is more on the morons in Canada, excluding present company, of course.
http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-news/one-brave-tobacconist-fights-insanity-in-canada/

sinistertopiary

Starting to Get Obsessed
Oct 5, 2009
Toronto
Regarding your post, I was told by every tobacconist I visited that yes, tobacco products in a store must be hidden from view except for tobacconists. A grandfather clause was added for them to allow them to continue to display their wares. That's why I see them on display whenever I go to them. This is only for dedicated tobacco stores -- all other stores must hide them. However they were unable to get a grandfather clause that permitted smoking within the premises.
Perhaps Nova Scotia doesn't have that grandfather clause. Yeesh.

dunendain

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 22, 2009
Do they think tobacco smoke is Sarin gas. Foolish. It is a good thing those people were not here 10,000 years ago. Native Americans could not smoke in their tepee.

pipegangster

Might Stick Around
Dec 29, 2009
Upstate NY
Try and stop me from doing something in my own home. My two friends Mr. Smith and Mr. Wesson will gladly introduce themselves to you.

sapo59

Can't Leave
Dec 29, 2009
Yes, saying if one can or cannot smoke in their place of residence is alot of BS, I heard of some people who don't want you to be able to smoke in your car either. Who knows in five years or so we may be in the same class as those who pursue the enjoyments of substances that are already illegal.

dudleydipstick

Can't Leave
Dec 13, 2009
Interesting reader comments too, by the way.
I only had to look four quotes down for a short and sweet one I really liked:
"Too bad idiotic beaurocracy and the whiney public can't be done away with as easily as our personal liberties."

thecigarsoldier

Might Stick Around
Feb 8, 2010
Wisconsin
They push an agenda that those that live in the homes of smokers are subject to second/third hand smoke (infants, wives etc.). It's the same BS they use about bar/restaurant workers who have no other choice but be subjected to ETS when they jam smoking bans down our throat. Thus banning ALL smoking is the only logical thing to protect these people.
They make no concessions for individual circumstances and of course have no tolerance for any negotiations other than full out bans. Non-smokers figure it doesn't matter to them so they go along with it and low and behold we're traveling rather quickly down that slippery slope of how much control we want our government to have in our personal home.
Our personal freedoms and liberties are under attack and I for one am fed up with it!

igloo

Lifer
Jan 17, 2010
woodlands tx
Iam a rebel will get tobacco from Cuba same way as my stash of cigars . You had better call SWAT you are going to need them . lol

scottydu81

Lurker
Dec 16, 2009
read the comments in the article this thread was name on. i liked this one in particular-
"Too bad idiotic beurocracy and the whiney public can't be done away with as easily as our personal liberties."

highstump

Might Stick Around
Jan 22, 2010
Regardless of the outcome of this I am a firm believer in the "what goes around, comes around" idea. At some point all of the present "do gooders" will have the next generation and their own list of bans to deal with.

jcsoldit

Lifer
Mar 27, 2010
Wisconsin
Like those who have commented before me, I agree this is total BS...
I use to work for a global company that manufactured products used for fire-stop purposes in the building of single and multi-family housing. Multi-family being house with shared walls, apartments, condos, etc. Most if not all urban areas have adopted building codes requiring fire rated walls between units, these walls can be constructed new or retrofitted so that they will slowdown fire from one unit to the next. Materials are used to seal around electrical, plumbing, and ductwork openings to meet these codes. As you probably know fire will seek out oxygen so these products are to stop air transmission from one unit to another for a short period of time so that adjacent units can be evacuated quickly in case of fire.
My point is that if you are living in a building where you can smell what your neighbor is smoking, you should have bigger concerns the alleged affects of second-hand smoke.

vkimp

Lurker
Feb 1, 2010
I was seting on my porch smoking my pipe. Some guy I had never seen before was walking down the road. Well he stop and said " you know that pipe is not good for your health at your age". It made me mad as hell. So I replyed " Standing in front of my house saying that is not good for your health at any age"!!! And porceded towards him with a long handel shovel over my sholder! He started moving down the street at a MUCH faster pace!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.