PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jguss

Lifer
Jul 7, 2013
I suspect the answer to the OP’s original question is it depends on where he purchased the tobacco he wants to mail. The law is pretty clearly targeted at residents who buy tobacco remotely and then have it shipped to Washington (see RCW 70.155.140: Shipping or transporting tobacco products ordered or purchased by mail or through the internet prohibited—Penalty. - https://apps.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=70.155.140) . It’s less clear whether tobacco purchased remotely by a resident while outside the State who then shipped it into Washington (whether to himself or a third party) is also illegal; if the subject has been settled in court you could find out if you really cared and if you think it’s relevant. What’s not banned in the language of the law, by my reading, is tobacco purchased in person (ie at a B&M) whether in Washington or elsewhere which you later mailed to yourself in Washington. If you go that route I’d suggest hanging onto your receipts.

But as others have said if you’re seriously worried consult a lawyer. I say that knowing, however, how fantastically unlikely it is anyone would spend hundreds of bucks on legal fees before deciding whether or not to mail himself a few tins of pipe tobacco.

Personally I wouldn't screw with it. My experiences have made me cynical about the law. Being right often has little to do with outcomes.

There are honest-to-God lawyers on this forum. Maybe one will chime in.

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I'm totally unaffected. I just think a little respect for Kevin, under who's sufferance we enjoy this site, ought to be observed. Obviously you don't. Your choice. I'll keep harping and you keep pushing your agenda. That way we'll coexist happily.

That's not obvious at all, I respect Kevin immensely. I'm confident Kevin is more than capable of speaking up if I create an issue for him and doesn't need you to be his personal hitman. Your problem is you've clearly mistaken me for someone who gives a shit what you think. Read my post again, it obviously was in jest but that apparently flew over the top of your head.

Jan 30, 2020
New Jersey
If you live in Wa and had your internet order shipped to a PO box in another state, then used a mail forwarding service to mail it to your home in Wa, wouldn't you be mailing it to yourself thereby making it legal? Hypothetically speaking of course... ?
I'd argue not, if you initiated the transaction from your computer in WA. You caused to be shipped or transported a product through the internet from within the state.

Some sort-of comparable state boundaries issues are going on right now with remote employees and states wanting their tax money if someone worked remotely even for a few weeks in their state (even if you reside in another state, and the company is in a third state). Origination of the transaction is going to play an important factor is my opinion.

Reactions: BrokenRecord

Worknman

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 23, 2019
I'd argue not, if you initiated the transaction from your computer in WA. You caused to be shipped or transported a product through the internet from within the state.

Some sort-of comparable state boundaries issues are going on right now with remote employees and states wanting their tax money if someone worked remotely even for a few weeks in their state (even if you reside in another state, and the company is in a third state). Origination of the transaction is going to play an important factor is my opinion.
I agree, twisting yourself in a pretzel to get around the law probably isn't a good idea. My post was me being facetious more than anything.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
It is a sensitive question, apparently ... mailing tobacco at all. I sent gift tins to a friend, and the postal clerk got very edgy. This was between two states with no prohibition. The clerk asked the post master, and it was all fine. But it certainly got the antennas up. I donated some tobacco to active duty service people in Afghanistan at an APO and had to fill out customs forms. Nothing is easy. Samples whiz around between Forums members like crazy ... and thank you very much.

Reactions: SoddenJack

SoddenJack

Can't Leave
Apr 19, 2020
West Texas
I would do it. A few tins isn’t on anyone’s radar or worth their time. I’ve brought Cuban cigars and rum back from Europe. Customs at Newark didn’t give two shits. It’s pipe tobacco, not a kilo of uncut Fentanyl. So long as it’s not an amount that will raise suspicions (like an about that looks like your going to sell it or something odd) you’ll be fine. Postal employees are federal employees, I don’t think they care or need to enforce fugazi state regulations.

ChuHiGuy

Lurker
Jan 11, 2020
Just for the record I’m not trying to pull a fast one or anything. Its hard to get ahold of tobacco in Wa since you can’t mail order it. I was just wondering if I could send it to myself. I’m currently out of country and have access to a lot of tobaccos I’ve wanted to try but haven’t been able to. Sending myself a big old box of tobacco sounds like a great idea but I’m also not looking to get into trouble over it.

ghingo

Lurker
Apr 5, 2020
Italy
Here in Italy shipment of tobacco is illegal, period. You can't buy tobacco online, you can't mail tobacco to a friend, you can't receive tobacco by mail: there is a state monopoly on tobacco. It is actually considered - depending on quantities - a criminal offense to mail tobacco (contraband).

Ethan

Can't Leave
Feb 15, 2021
Massachusetts, USA
There are a lot of state by state differences. Some will allow it...and then if you don't pay the state taxes online during the transaction, they will expect you to pay when you file income taxes at the end of the year. Which here is 40%...smokeless tobacco like Skoal, and Copenhagen are 240%. Ahhh Freedom I am fortunate to have a decent local tobacconist still, in selection, not expertise. The counter help is more easy on the eyes than helpful most days.

ofafeather

Lifer
Apr 26, 2020
Where NY, CT & MA meet
Just for the record I’m not trying to pull a fast one or anything. Its hard to get ahold of tobacco in Wa since you can’t mail order it. I was just wondering if I could send it to myself. I’m currently out of country and have access to a lot of tobaccos I’ve wanted to try but haven’t been able to. Sending myself a big old box of tobacco sounds like a great idea but I’m also not looking to get into trouble over it.
You might want to ask more specifically of WA residents that have successfully sent/received internationally. I seem to recall seeing a post from someone that was able to get international shipments from Esterval’s in Germany. Don’t know the legalities.

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon
Status
Not open for further replies.