PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Buckler

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 25, 2020
NSW, AUSTRALIA
I always have a bit of left over un burned tobacco. Is this normal?
It won’t stay lit like the rest of the bowl. (A number of re lights of course).
‘They’ say that once the pipe won’t stay lit your done and to not keep trying.
I am wondering if this is the normal end point?
Or do people only have burned ash at the bottom?

Attachments

• B82C3D45-6D17-46A8-A47A-B216116D3977.jpeg
    B82C3D45-6D17-46A8-A47A-B216116D3977.jpeg
    150.3 KB · Views: 24
Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
It happens. I have no issue with some relights when it is near the bottom of the bowl but am careful to not do it too much to avoid burning a hole in the bowl. I also have no issue using the pipe tool and throwing away more dottle than usual. I'm not going to waste much time or lose any sleep over a couple of pennies worth of tobacco.

Buckler

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 25, 2020
NSW, AUSTRALIA
I do it all the time. Really we're talking about a nickel worth of tobacco. Nothing to worry about.

I have less leftovers since I simply started packing my pipe less full.
Problem is tobacco is $100 a ton down here in Oz. ??

But I just wanted to make sure I was doing it right. ?

Cheers.

Buckler

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 25, 2020
NSW, AUSTRALIA
Dry more, and pack lighter, and you’ll have less of it. It gets saturated with water during the smoke and becomes bitter and hard to light.

Cheers.
this pack was a very light pack. It’s Yorktown and is very dry. Well at least compared to the aros iv been having.
But this is deff on the lower end of dottle I have had. But still some un burned. So thought I’d check in here. :)

Casual

Lifer
Oct 3, 2019
NL, CA
Cheers.
this pack was a very light pack. It’s Yorktown and is very dry. Well at least compared to the aros iv been having.
But this is deff on the lower end of dottle I have had. But still some un burned. So thought I’d check in here. :)
I get less dottle with meerschaum pipes, and in a recent thread I was told this is similar to cobs. Apparently both are more absorbent than briar. This may help if conditions are just wetter than you like, for whatever reason.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
I bet it’s not that dry. Dry the tobacco more and don’t push it down in the chamber as much. You want the top of your pack to be tighter and the bottom loose. I usually almost just gravity fill .. lightly press it in, then take some more as a pile on top and push that down. You want it to still have a good amount of spring. And I also dry my tobaccos to completely dry.

here’s what I usually have left. I was kidding about the fine white ash.
but see how my dottle (the tiny bit that there is left) is all charred and half burnt? Yours looks completely untouched.
6B88B9E7-B7D0-44E6-B166-6A2EED84C73E.jpeg

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
A little dottle is standard. It has served its duty as a filter in the bottom of the bowl. However, if you were in a dire shortage of tobacco, you could pick out the unburnt particles, dry them, and burn them, though the flavor might not be good. In my case, I have always found cobs are especially efficient at leaving zero dottle and maintaining good flavor right to the end. But others may have a different experience. Basically, don't worry about it.

jdb67

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 18, 2020
Albuquerque, NM
I always have something I tried and don't like (or don't get along with) and I put that in the bottom. So this morning, I dropped a little Star of the East Flake (for some reason it bites me) down in the bottom and then proceeded to pack Old Dublin. I basically smoked all the Old Dublin down and when it went out, it was the SOTEF dottle I tossed out. I just make sure what I put in the bottom for dottle is neutral or the same genre of what I am smoking. I am just doing this instead of tossing out tobacco I am not going to smoke...but I also agree that for most it is not worth thinking or worrying about. Tossing some dottle out is no big deal.

Pipelady20

Can't Leave
Apr 17, 2020
East coast, USA
www.pipesmagazine.com
Cheers.
Your dottle is way better than what I have left over. I guess i need to pack lighter.