PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

jvnshr

Staff member
Sep 4, 2015
Baku, Azerbaijan
There was a time many long years ago a tailor would ask left or right... :wink:
A guy with lots of back pain goes to the doctor and after examining the patient, the doctor states that the cause of the pain is the penis being too long and he has to have a penis reduction surgery. Guy gets disappointed but agrees with the surgery. Right after leaving the hospital he sees a nice tailor and to forget the recent trauma, he decides to spend some money by buying himself new expensive clothes. Upon entering the shop a professional tailor meets him and offers his help. The guy says that he wants to buy an expensive 44 size suit, the tailor interrupts and while checking his shoulders carefully, says "Sir, 42 would be better size for you, it will put your shoulders forward and give you a nice posture." The guy tries a 42 size and realizes that he has been wearing the wrong size the whole time. Then he asks for a shirt with the size of 15 but the tailor suggests 15 3/4 stating that this size would be perfect for his arms.. So the guy spends few thousand dollars on his new clothes all with new but perfect sizes for his body. At the end he says "Well, looks like I bought everything except some underwear, I know you will suggest a new size as well but I am so sure that I need an S size underwear". The tailor takes a glance on his groin and says "You actually need to wear an L size underwear, S size would put a tension on your penis which would cause lots of back pain".

bonanzadriver

Can't Leave
Nov 28, 2016
Although not ambidextrous, I am apparently ambi-pipe-strious. :)
While reading a book I tend to go from side to side, hand to hand.
While on the computer, same thing, clenching from one side to the other.
When golfing I tend to clench it on the left side while swinging the club but clench on the other side while riding in the cart or walking down the fairway.

irishearl

Lifer
Aug 2, 2016
Kansas
Am a righty when smoking but I write left-handed. Got me to wondering if folks commonly smoke a pipe with their "opposite" hand.

fitzy

Lifer
Nov 13, 2012
NY
Irishearl I assume for most it's the opposite of their dominant hand. Maybe because we need to light or tamp with our dominant hand. I don't think I can easily use a lighter in my left hand.

youdancer

Lurker
Sep 19, 2016
Right handed - smoke and clench on the right side.

I think it has more to do with uneven British dentistry than anything else - just feels better there.

I clench in my front teeth when lighting.

dunstanhillwell62

Might Stick Around
May 11, 2017
Denmark
I am left handed but change hands depending on what I'm doing. For instance, on the PC I hold the pipe with my left hand and use the right for mouse manipulating.

When I do clench, it's always to the right because it simply feels wrong doing it to the left.
Back in the day when my Dad had suits or trousers made, the tailor always asked him: "In which side do you carry, Sir..?" which always made my Dad smile. He said that it made the little dears sound like some kind of luggage.

:)

ericthered

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 29, 2014
Suffolk, VA
I alternate sides while clenching to evenly distribute jaw and taste bud fatigue. I predominantly hold in my left, but not to exclusivity. I tamp & light with the right hand, but lighting happens right down the middle so that I can keep both eyes on the flame.

Status
Not open for further replies.