PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
I loved that pipe so much, I snagged a replica a few years ago. It’s definitely not proportional to what Van Cleef smoked, but it smoked so beautifully I cared not.

Aside, all the pipes that he smokes in the movies weren’t just props...they were his own pipes. He was good at what he did. ?☕
View attachment 68620
Tip: it smokes the best, however, when the match is lit on Klaus Kinski's hunchback. puffy

Servant King

Lifer
Nov 27, 2020
Frazier Park, CA
www.thechembow.com
Colonel Mortimer: “I generally smoke just after I eat, why don’t you come back in about 10 minutes?”

Hunchback: “In ten minutes you’ll be smoking in Hell!”
(plot spoiler) Ah yes, the little derringer-in-the-sleeve trick! Except in real life, those things have no accuracy outside of about six inches.

jonasclark

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 4, 2013
Seattle
Most of the "Lee Van Cleef" copies, to my eye, don't match up. Simmerdown, aside from size and the metal band, yours is nice. In my opinion, they really need the stem Austrian makers were using in the fifties and calling amberoid, which were a very pale butter yellow. The bright golden yellow plastic Turkish makers used at the start of the Turkish meerschaum pipe industry in the 1960s aren't right, nor are most colors of acrylic I've seen.

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
(plot spoiler) Ah yes, the little derringer. . . those things have no accuracy outside of about six inches.
Exactly. Isn't that why Mr. Seecamp built his handy little pocket rocket. Didn't he (or his son when talking about hid Dad's experiences) say to stick it in their eye and pull the trigger. I do recall reading the elder Seecamp had personal life-saving experience with this during WWII. Carried a .380 and my Better Half a .32 from him for many years (saving the Rohrbaughs when wanting the power of a nine).
kind regards
mike

Reactions: Servant King

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
Aka, Angel Eyes. Great actor. Eli Wallach was another talent. Eastwood looked like a wooden dummy next to both of these guys. Best Westerns ever made!
Thank you for the post. I didn't recall the name of Mr. Wallach so I googled him. I love his work and have seen him in scads of shows! Wow!! And if the internet is to be believed LOL, he was a mustanger in WWII, which is another plus in my book.
thnx again
mike

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Thank you for the post. I didn't recall the name of Mr. Wallach so I googled him. I love his work and have seen him in scads of shows! Wow!! And if the internet is to be believed LOL, he was a mustanger in WWII, which is another plus in my book.
thnx again
mike
Eli was an extreme talent. Read his autobiography sometime. Clint’s “supporting” actors were genuine actors. Broadway stars. Yes an Army Veteran.

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Is one replica better than the other? Been eyeing one for a while
You want premium block meerschaum and a recognized master carver. Mine is flawless in fit and finish. The beeswax finish should have a deep sheen to it. The mottled spotting should be distinct but look natural. both calabash world and leevancleef.com will do a good job for you.

Reactions: danimalia