Leatherman Multitools & Their Imitators.

SmokingPipes.com Updates

12 Fresh Eltang Basic Pipes
12 Fresh Dunhill Pipes
18 Fresh Rossi Pipes
4 Fresh Todd Johnson Pipes
48 Fresh AKB Meerschaum Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Egg Shen

Lifer
Nov 26, 2021
Pennsylvania
How about this for overkill? $350 or so.

I have one similar to Don's which I keep in my car.

71RIaWVhDFL._AC_SL1500_.jpg
This looks like the latest incarnation of the “Champ” model. I wanted this so much when I was 14. Now of course it is obnoxious

Reactions: jpmcwjr

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
"but the failure in my opinion of the original was the way the grips would concentrate force aka cut into your hands when using the pliers."

I do confess, once when cutting some barbed wire to gain access to some derelict mine workings to do some mineral collecting, I found the handles digging into my hands which was pretty painful.

I suspect later models are more comfortable in that regard.

Regards,

Jay.

didimauw

Staff member
Jul 28, 2013
Burlington WI
First as a 14 year old boy, my dad bought me my first Leatherman. A Fuse. Purchased the year they came out in 2004. It's been on my belt for most of those years.
PXL_20220216_135338220.jpg

Then I ended up buying a Leatherman Wingman 6 years ago or so. I wanted one that was all metal, and something to use when welding. This was the one that was pictured in my tool kit sheath above. Outside access to the locking knife, and scissors which is a huge plus.
PXL_20220216_135408918.jpg

Then for some reason I got a bug up my butt last year, and decided I needed another one. So I found the REV new online for cheap. Honestly don't remember WHY I bought it. But felt the need to check it out. I think my plan was to keep it in my Jeep for emergencies (not like I'd ever be without the one on my belt). But I didn't like it. The handles are two different sizes, the metal in some spots was almost sharp and uncomfortable, and it has no heft. It has outside access to the knife, but the opening slot is tiny, and hard to use. No scissors on this one. This time in my life is when I start to realize what tools I truly use every day.

PXL_20220216_135446510.jpg

Then a few nights ago, I let my wife use the flathead screwdriver on my Wingman. Needless to say it came back to me with a magically broken flathead. So onto the Leatherman site, and filled out the warranty paperwork. Got everything ready when I realized that I really didn't want to go that long without it. I had money sitting that needed to be spent, so I did some research about the Leatherman Bond. It reminded me of my old Fuse that I loved so much. Ordered.
I waited a very long 4 days for it to arrive. This could be my new daily driver here. Shiny, oh so shiny. Tight mechanisms though, but they all break in with time. No spring loaded pliers and No scissors, which I knew going into it, but maybe I wouldn't need em. It was their homage to the original PST (Pocket Survival Tool). I thought that was great. And now I have something worthy to use while I send in my Wingman.
PXL_20220216_135515598.jpg

So halfway through my first day with the Bond, I'm disappointed. Hurts my hands, no scissors and no outside knife access.
Browsing online at other models, I noticed that my Rev has the same tools on it as my Wingman. ?
Two t10 torx bits and 20 minutes, and I have a fully functional Wingman again, I didn't' have to ship out and wait for, that doesn't need breaking in, but has an upgraded flathead, pocket clip, box opener and can opener. Genius.
Now I need to order a backup Wingman. for parts and such.
Guess I became attached to this guy.

PXL_20220216_142109203.jpg
PXL_20220216_142124193.jpg

multitool

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2023
Hawaii
I've always been a Leatherman guy. Got my first one at about 16 and never bought any other brand. Great tool, built to last, and Made in USA. Best brand IMO. A reliable second would be a Swiss Army Knife. leatherman.jpg

georged

Lifer
Mar 7, 2013
I keep thinking this board is populated by truly Manly Men, then along comes a thread like this one.

[insert sad face]

I've never even thought about cutesey little all-in-one tools. They are for UN-manly men...

Here's how to be properly prepared. Like me.

1) Getcha one of these:

Screen Shot 2023-08-21 at 6.49.44 PM.png

2) Fill every drawer with PROPER tools

Screen Shot 2023-08-21 at 7.05.43 PM.png

3) And take it everywhere you go, like this guy.

Screen Shot 2023-08-21 at 6.51.49 PM.png

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Hah, George does it in both prose and pictures.! Sweet!

Thinking a tiny amount, is the title correct? I.e., did Victorinox copy Leatherman, or was the Swiss company on the boards first?

multitool

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 19, 2023
Hawaii
I keep thinking this board is populated by truly Manly Men, then along comes a thread like this one.

[insert sad face]

I've never even thought about cutesey little all-in-one tools. They are for UN-manly men...

Here's how to be properly prepared. Like me.

1) Getcha one of these:

View attachment 241571

2) Fill every drawer with PROPER tools

View attachment 241575

3) And take it everywhere you go, like this guy.

View attachment 241576

Fair point georged. Someday I hope to be manly enough to get a rollaway of that magnitude. Some day....some day.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
So, did Victorinox copy Leatherman, or was the Swiss company on the boards first?

Or does some other country/outfit have a claim for a first?