PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

bayareabriar

Part of the Furniture Now
May 8, 2019
Definitely get one (the first link/question) if you have a tomato shape or squash.

gatorlope

Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
BTW, I like ssjones’ suggestion for recycling old belts... they’re something I never throw away and even though I may never be able to use them again, they’re still good leather.
Put ‘em to work!

gatorlope

Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
I followed up on ssjones’ suggestion and procured a leather punch & some screw rivets.

This is my first attempt, retaining the buckle & making a generous enough loop to accommodate one of my large free hands.
6d4854cb-e912-4895-bb4c-ed901a9d671c-600x514.jpg

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Wide, stiff leather and a narrow loop can even hold my jaeger pfeiffe!

I dare your rest to hold that Jägerpfeife on the passenger seat of a moving car! :nana:
Thanks for the feedback. Guess firm, veg tanned 9-12 oz leather is the way to go to make these loop holders.

gatorlope

Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
Actually, all you’d need to do is punch a few extra holes. These screw rivets don’t take much stress, so I only need to make them finger tight. Also if I want to store or transport them flat, all I need to do is take them apart.

buzkirk

Apr 14, 2009
Humboldt Tn.
Another option to the screw rivets would be an old pair of cuff links. People don't seem to use them much anymore, so they can be had for cheap at most thrift stores.

buzkirk

Apr 14, 2009
Humboldt Tn.
Another option to the screw rivets would be an old pair of cuff links. People don't seem to use them much anymore, so they can be had for cheap at most thrift stores.

husky

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 1, 2019
Another option to the screw rivets would be an old pair of cuff links. People don't seem to use them much anymore
That could be very elegant and gentlemen like!

5star

Nov 17, 2017
PacNW USA
I’m another who makes his own stands from leather belts. You can even buy new appropriately thick & wide belts from somewhere like Walmart. The cost is considerably less than what you’d pay to buy pipe stands. I also like these while clenching a pipe & doing various chores. They slip easily in a pocket, or can be slipped over the belt you’re wearing. If you need to set your pipe down, you have a stand readily available.

p40warhawk

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2019
I bought some a few years back, they were made by a local artisan, just thick leather put together by a snap, it works great. However, it doesn't work so well for one of my LONGER Churchwardens.

Dan

gatorlope

Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
What might work for an exceptionally long pipe is to cut a small wedge out of the broad side of the loop, then the bowl of the pipe can sit outside of the loop, but still have its weight centered over it.

gatorlope

Feb 5, 2019
South Florida
I like the cuff link idea. If the fit seems loose, you can cut a slot into some pieces of cardboard (the size of the cuff link post) and slide them in place to stiffen it up.

Status
Not open for further replies.