PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

owenver

Lurker
Jul 20, 2024
Edited for caps and specificity. Original:
"is this some cosmetics pipe or does it serve a functional purpose"

Hello seen a pipe called a long champ stamped with 'france' on it. Anyone know why the pipe is incased in leather? Is it just for cosmetics or does it serve a functional purpose?

Last edited by a moderator:
Jul 23, 2024
Hello seen a pipe called a long champ stamped with 'france' on it. Anyone know why the pipe is incased in leather? Is it just for cosmetics or does it serve a functional purpose?
Hello there! The leather casing on the Long Champ pipe is indeed functional. The leather case helps to maintain the pipe’s condition by protecting it from dust and moisture, which can affect the wood over time. It’s a nice blend of aesthetics and practicality!

• Wow
Reactions: warren and FLDRD

greysmoke

Can't Leave
Apr 28, 2011
South Coatesville, PA
www.greysmoke.com
I once had a leather-covered pipe -- a straight-stemmed pot. It was sleeved in light brown leather and stamped with the "Jockey" brand. It was the most foul smoking pipe I've ever experienced. I suspect the leather is meant to conceal a below-par grade of briar, but that's just my experience.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Hello there! The leather casing on the Long Champ pipe is indeed functional. The leather case helps to maintain the pipe’s condition by protecting it from dust and moisture, which can affect the wood over time. It’s a nice blend of aesthetics and practicality!
Except Briar doesn't need "protection" from dust nor moisture.

It's an aesthetic choice, as well as a way to hide unattractive briar.

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
The aesthetic appearance of a leather wrapped pipe when the leather and pipe are in good condition is something that can look nice.

I have two different leather-clad beasts in my collection. I do not smoke them often, mostly because I worried some ABOUT keeping the leather looking nice. But, when I do smoke one, people find the leather look “interesting” and more than once others have suggested they make me look rather “British” and “tweedy” and I should be driving an MG B Roadster . 😂

Nov 20, 2022
Wisconsin
I would have to assume that it is serving the same purpose(s) as rustication, rather than any functional purpose.
They both will add some 'function' to a smoke. Rustication increases surface area of the outside allowing for increased cooling - same reason my V-twin Harley has cooling fins. I am not sure what leather will do to the smoke and hesitate to offer another uninformed opinion.

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Sig

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 18, 2023
Western NY
According to Pipedia and Pipephil, the leather pipes were made during and after WW11 because briar was hard to come by when places like France and Italy were embroiled in war. Lesser pieces of briar were used and covered to hide the imperfections. Due to their popularity, some of these pipes were made well after the war.
This is according to these websites......they have both been known to be incorrect. Much of the information from both come from a handful of contributors.

snagstangl

Lifer
Jul 1, 2013
Iowa, United States
I think the pipes were covered for the look and feel of leather. I have seen the idea that the briar was covered because it was of inferior quality, or looked bad. That is stated in the Pipedia article on Longchamp. When they started in 1948 that was the reason. Longchamp - Pipedia - https://pipedia.org/wiki/Longchamp But I don't know if that applies for all ever made. The leather pipes were sold in the PX, so many military men had them.