Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

owenver

Lurker
Jul 20, 2024
Edited for caps and specificity. Original:
"is this some cosmetics pipe or does it serve a functional purpose"

Hello seen a pipe called a long champ stamped with 'france' on it. Anyone know why the pipe is incased in leather? Is it just for cosmetics or does it serve a functional purpose?

Last edited by a moderator:

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
It keeps the heat in the pipe inside the bowl, so you don't get your fingers burned when holding the pipe. I guess you could say it is kind of cosmetic. If you smoke way too fast this can help you but you're better off learning how to properly pack and light your pipe.

Reactions: didimauw
Jul 23, 2024
Hello seen a pipe called a long champ stamped with 'france' on it. Anyone know why the pipe is incased in leather? Is it just for cosmetics or does it serve a functional purpose?
Hello there! The leather casing on the Long Champ pipe is indeed functional. The leather case helps to maintain the pipe’s condition by protecting it from dust and moisture, which can affect the wood over time. It’s a nice blend of aesthetics and practicality!

• Wow
Reactions: warren and FLDRD

greysmoke

Can't Leave
Apr 28, 2011
South Coatesville, PA
www.greysmoke.com
I once had a leather-covered pipe -- a straight-stemmed pot. It was sleeved in light brown leather and stamped with the "Jockey" brand. It was the most foul smoking pipe I've ever experienced. I suspect the leather is meant to conceal a below-par grade of briar, but that's just my experience.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
Hello there! The leather casing on the Long Champ pipe is indeed functional. The leather case helps to maintain the pipe’s condition by protecting it from dust and moisture, which can affect the wood over time. It’s a nice blend of aesthetics and practicality!
Except Briar doesn't need "protection" from dust nor moisture.

It's an aesthetic choice, as well as a way to hide unattractive briar.

Epip Oc'Cabot

Can't Leave
Oct 11, 2019
The aesthetic appearance of a leather wrapped pipe when the leather and pipe are in good condition is something that can look nice.

I have two different leather-clad beasts in my collection. I do not smoke them often, mostly because I worried some ABOUT keeping the leather looking nice. But, when I do smoke one, people find the leather look “interesting” and more than once others have suggested they make me look rather “British” and “tweedy” and I should be driving an MG B Roadster . 😂

• Haha
Reactions: Sigmund and warren