ODF
CD Haunted Bookshop
Edgeworth Ready Rubbed Match

Reactions: Bob the bear

mav

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 14, 2021
Chicago
And some of us have stupid taste buds that can't handle anything BUT Burley tobaccos.
Like me. I for one, have the stupid taste buds.
I'm with you, I have lame tastebuds. I want to like all the popular blends but aros seem just to sweet, and my tongue rebels against the grassy, hay, fruity sweetness of Virginias.

I like many English blends but not everyday. Then I found burleys and that became my home base. I started with SWR and Lane limited RR and am now also enjoying Golden Extra style blends as well as different burley flakes. Smoking slow and contemplative makes them great for me.

Florian D.

Lurker
Mar 15, 2021
I highly recommend a home made VABUR mixture that I recently discovered: Mix 1 flake of 3 year aged HH Burley Flake with 1 flake of 3 year aged Capstan Gold. Rubbed out and well mixed together gives just an fantastic blend. I wll try it with two fresh tins soon since my aged one didn’t last very long. Me

molst

Lurker
Sep 8, 2021
Sweden
Now trying Solani Aged Burley Flake in my Savinelli Rome Pipe bought two days ago in..... Rome! Wow! Very musty, quite strong, peppery and yeah, it's great. Can't wait to smoke it just a couple more times before i write a proper review! ?

Reactions: CoffeeAndBourbon

mickeyg

Lurker
Jul 28, 2015
Back in the day, I'd wedge a couple of Edgeworth flakes among some FVF.

Yummy ! ! !

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
Burley benefits from some VA. Bass and Treble is a good description. High and Low notes.

My favorite blend is an all-burley codger. My other cant-do-withouts are more complex but burley based.

Pegasus
Winchester (Red VA & Unsweetened Cavendish)
University Flake (Mildly topped)
Old Joe Krantz Blue
Briar Fox
Presbyterian (light Latakia)

cigrmaster

Lifer
May 26, 2012
Sarasota Florida
I don't smoke any straight Burleys. I tried Solani ABF and Wessex Burley Slices and didn't care for either.

I smoke a number of Vabur blends and many are favorites. Here are a few.
Stonehaven
Orlik Dark Strong Kentucky
Solani 660 Silver flake
Peterson Irish Flake and University Flake
GL Pease Navigator

sardonicus87

Lifer
Jun 28, 2022
Lower Alabama
Might also give the Mac Baren Navy flake a go, could be an easier introduction, it's burly-based but has some Cavendish and Virginia. I get a nice floral/fruity flavor out of it, similar to a fig fresh off the tree, or maybe an herbal tea like rooibos sweetened with honey. See how you like it compared to the HH Old Dark Fired.

Where them burley boys at? I personally much prefer burley to Virginia. Subtle, smooth, easy, what's not to love? I'd hardly call burley boring though. I guess it's more a preference, and I prefer the dark to the bright.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Per Florian D., Va/Bur mixes are a fairly good bet. You can do equal portions, or use one as the base and the other as a condiment. I like to build up a little volume to the smoke with a pinch of unflavored black Cavendish, but those two (Va/Bur) are a winning combination. I also like English blends with burley, like C&D Tuggle Hall and the now discontinued Nat Sherman 536, which was one of the more refined English blends I've smoked.