PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlosviet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 23, 2012
It is thanks to this excellent article from Al that I got notice that not only the flame shape, but the flame temperature was different in a butane and matches. A little research showed me that the temperature of matches (or zippos) are very unlikely to char hardwood in one or two seconds of exposition. Butane, would char in just one second.
But today I learned pipe care from an unexpected source: My housemaid, who knows nothing about pipes, but cares deeply about all my things.
I often clean my pipes after use, but some times they are left in the ashtray with ash or tobacco inside. Instead of reaming with... well, the reamer, or the nail, she has cut in diagonal a wooden chopstick, and cleans the inside of the bowl with it. She also uses a toothpick for some parts... I asked her why she didn't use the pipe tools I have, and she said that it was crazy to clean wood with metal because it gets scratched. You scrape wood with softer wood, so that you don't scar the furniture... After she said it, it came to my mind how much damage the metal tools do to the pipe, and that it can be avoided using wood. At least for daily basis. Not the deep cleaning.
She also washes the cotton pipe cleaners, until they are like new, straightens them and dries them. At least, they last many, many bowls. For her, it doesn't matter how cheap things are, wasting is shameful.
And finally, she puts the ash from the ashtrays into an empty tin of tobacco. When she has the tin full, she mixes it with the soil of the plants, before watering them... They look healthy, so far.
This has brought to my mind how careless we are, out of habit, about our pipes. A lot of attention to the cake and the tobacco, but too indifferent to what happens to the wood. I intent to be much more careful so that even a daily pipe should be called almost new.

carlosviet

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 23, 2012
I'm going to print this and show it to our cleaning lady. Can't wait for her response.
Do you think she might have a couple of suggestion of her own about what can be done with the pipes? :puffpipe: :D

juni

Lifer
Mar 9, 2010
I must alert my maid and butler of this trick!
(Ok, seriously, it does make sense)

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
The wood on wood suggestion make sense.
Her other suggestion about washing pipe cleaners would be wasteful in the USA. A man making $50K a year, earns $24 per hour. A new pack of 100 cleaners cost $2. Thus unless he can clean them in less than about 5 minutes, he is wasting his time / money. But if the cleaners cost $15, or his wages are $2 per hour, then the calculation would be completely different. Economics can be a fascinating study.
Winton

lazydog

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
for me, matches (book matches preferred, smaller flame) are the only way to go. Book matches are hard to find in stores around here. Thanx for the info Carlos. Just talked to my housemaid about pipecleaner washing. She just said....Senor, muy mucho loco. Seriously, I have just started washing my pipe cleaners with good results. I don't care too much about metal on wood problems. Always thought a few dings on apipe over the years showed a little character. Adios :puffy:

bailey331

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 24, 2012
Good advise. I asked my maid (my wife) about cleaning my pipes for me once and her answer was to throw them away. So I clean them myself. As cheap as pipe cleaners are I prefer new ones.

waznyf

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2012
Texas
I would tell my house maid.... If I had one!

Do all the cleaning myself due to the fact that my buddy and I are dirt broke in our new place.

Status
Not open for further replies.