PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
North Central Florida
It happened to me really hard once when I was just learning. Back then, not only did I smoke too fast, I produced lots and lots of saliva when I smoked. Not realizing that there was a collection of goop at the bottom of my bent pipe. Ugg! And, it was an estate pipe that I had probably only haphazardly prepared for smoking. I thought, 'oh damn! I just swallowed someone else's spit!'

AroEnglish

Rehabilitant
Jan 7, 2020
If you have the condenser I'd imagine it would actually prevent, if not stop, the juice going into your mouth. But I don't want to do the empirical testing to prove my hypothesis.

Reactions: JOHN72

tobakenist

Lifer
Jun 16, 2011
Middle England
Your obviously a wet smoker like me, I learnt that lesson in the late 60's, I also taught myself to smoke non system pipes, just make sure that the bottom of the bowl is higher than the tip of the stem, I love my Peterson Systems but also all of my Peterson non Systems, I also collect Freehands and enjoy smoking them, well enjoy smoking all of my collection of all different types of pipes.

Reactions: JOHN72

Uguccione

Can't Leave
Jan 22, 2024
Italy
It happened to me really hard once when I was just learning. Back then, not only did I smoke too fast, I produced lots and lots of saliva when I smoked. Not realizing that there was a collection of goop at the bottom of my bent pipe. Ugg! And, it was an estate pipe that I had probably only haphazardly prepared for smoking. I thought, 'oh damn! I just swallowed someone else's spit!'
It's not necessarily saliva, it could also just be the moisture from the tobacco condensing. It depends on whether you keep the pipe in your mouth constantly or not.