PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

gubbyduffer

Can't Leave
May 25, 2021
Peebles, Scottish Borders
Le Mans starts tomorrow. My 12 yo son is a big fan of motorsport, as is his friend who is staying tomorrow for a sleep over. Both are really excited. We have printed off the list of entrants. My son is following Toyota Gazoo, as well as Paul Di Resta in LMP2. Anyone else planning on watching Le Mans?

gubbyduffer

Can't Leave
May 25, 2021
Peebles, Scottish Borders
Wow, that's usually in June. F1 is on break, makes sense. I'll tune in, but we don't have much coverage here.
I know its late. I don't know if covid has pushed it back to August. I never used to give Le Mans a look in, but becoming more aware of its history and the visual and audio excitement of racing down the Mulsanne Straight at night, has given me an appreciation of the race.

Jun 27, 2016
I like to try & at least catch the sunset, & I'm watching & listening through a couple open instances of YouTube, via the RadioLeMans channel & an on-board camera with the C8-R on the Chevy channel.
I'll pay attention unless it turns into a lap-after-lap processional full of yellow-flagged sections, like I seem to remember it doing during the last race or the last couple of races.
Mostly I couldn't care less about sanctioned racing these days, I'm finding stuff like grass-roots street-drag channels to be much more interesting.

Jun 27, 2016
Been under safety cars for at least half of the time since I last posted, lol.
As much as I'm enjoying riding with the C8R at Le Mans, this race has been hard to care about for a few years now.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Any of the basic cable outlets carry this? Or do you have to buy it to see it? It could be interesting in the closing days of internal combustion. Love to hear those engines scream.

simong

Lifer
Oct 13, 2015
UK
Steve McQueen, Le Mans & The Man. Saw it again on the telly the other night. Cracking documentary film! Highly recommended if you haven't seen it. Lots of pipesmokers in it as well, strangely enough.

Reactions: mso489
Mar 1, 2014
For me LeMans is as good as Christmas, the best motorsport you will find running today, and with the new Hypercar class it's only going to get better.
I expect LeMans in the next 10 years will be just as exciting as it was in the 70's and 80's.

Reactions: morgansteele

FurCoat

Lifer
Sep 21, 2020
North Carolina
Big fan of LeMans. Growing up with Porsches and owning them it's a given concidering the history. My dad used to take me to Road Atlanta to watch Donhue race the Sunoco 917.30. He rubbed my head once as he was climbing into the car. Is Fernando Alanso driving this year?

trudger

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 1, 2019
‘Burbs of Detroit
Fernando is driving F1 with Alpine, Renault's F1 team rebranded this year so no. Jan and Kevin Magnussen will be driving for High Class Racing of Denmark in the LMP2 div. tho. Juan Pablo Montoya is also in it. 17 ex F1 drivers.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Yes, the McQueen film was outstanding. I think the sound track for the first thirty minutes is engines at full throttle only. That's daring film, yet no one leaves the theater. It turns out as many women as men love screaming internal combustion engines. McQueen was a car racing and motorcycle guy, so he's not doing much acting, just driving.