PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Thanks for all the advice. I just finished my first "finger" of this amazing libation. I drank it neat and was expecting a lot of heat, but found that it was incredibly smooth. I took very small sips and held them in my mouth for a second or two to get a sense of mouth feel and experience the taste and smells. I'm so happy I "manned" up and gave this a go! It was hard not to pour a second glass, but I wanted to think on it for a bit and evaluate what I'd tasted. Tomorrow I plan to have another glass and pair it with some of my Syrian Latakia; something tells me they'll go well together. I'm excited, but may have just added another expensive taste to my budget.

The rabbit hole is deep.

cossackjack

Lifer
Oct 31, 2014
Evergreen, Colorado
I prefer my alcoholic beverages combustible (barrel proof if available) & neat, though sometimes with a drop or three of water.

Sipping from a Glencairn Whisky Glass enhances the experience...
1586496375630.jpeg
...with Single Malt Scotch, as well as Bourbon, Rye, American Single Malts, & sipping Rum.

Reactions: Pierre1965

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
I’ve never found a better gateway Scotch than Aberlour 12.

I’ll disagree with someone above - if you don’t like it, don’t mix it with ginger ale. You wouldn’t take a tobacco you didn’t like and roll it in a Swisher sweet and get after it, you’d cellar it and come back to it when your palate has evolved and it’s had time to mellow. Apply this to the Lagavulin. It won’t really mellow, but you’ll get time to refine your appreciation for the whisky in the interim.
I love aberlour when in the mood for a nice sherry speyside. The 16 especially. However, their A’bunadh is the real gem. Cask strength and an ultra sherry bomb. So good. For me tonight it’s Port Dundas 18.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I love aberlour when in the mood for a nice sherry speyside. The 16 especially. However, their A’bunadh is the real gem. Cask strength and an ultra sherry bomb. So good. For me tonight it’s Port Dundas 18.

Agree on all points.

For the newcomer to Scotch, that 12 year old Aberlour’s subtle floral notes and overall calm nature tend to be welcomed and enjoyed.

As of late, I’ve found myself into bourbon more often than not. I have a small fortune’s worth I have to figure out how to get through Canada on my trip back home...

Reactions: Pierre1965

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Agree on all points.

For the newcomer to Scotch, that 12 year old Aberlour’s subtle floral notes and overall calm nature tend to be welcomed and enjoyed.

As of late, I’ve found myself into bourbon more often than not. I have a small fortune’s worth I have to figure out how to get through Canada on my trip back home...
Bourbon is the whiskey that got me into whiskey. At one point the whole mantle of our fireplace was all bourbon bottles.....because there was no more room on the bar for bourbon bottles, hahaha.

Now the bar is an eclectic mix of all whiskies of the world, from scotch to bourbon to rye to irish to japanese to taiwanese to indian to new zealander to france to belgium to wales and on and on and on. Its a problem.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
Bourbon is the whiskey that got me into whiskey. At one point the whole mantle of our fireplace was all bourbon bottles.....because there was no more room on the bar for bourbon bottles, hahaha.

Now the bar is an eclectic mix of all whiskies of the world, from scotch to bourbon to rye to irish to japanese to taiwanese to indian to new zealander to france to belgium to wales and on and on and on. Its a problem.

Agreed. Check out this one I have:

706D2A8E-51A2-446E-80FD-DA7D1EB94863.jpeg

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
My wife bought me a bottle of Lavagaulin 16 six years ago and I've never opened it. I tried Scotch once when I was about 24 and I wasn't manly enough for it. 30 plus years later and I'm still intimidated. I recently scored some Vintage Syrian Latakia and I don't know why, but I want to see how they'll pair. Any suggestions on how to drink this? Chilled, room temperature, neat, spring water? Any thought's on how it'll pair with this Latakia? Any other tobacco pairings you'd recommend with it? Any food pairings you'd recommend? Thanks gents.
It may be too late, but here is my two cents.
This is seriously fine whisky. I have recently finished a bottle that I have nursed along for many years. It should be drunk neat and at room temperature. It is extremely peaty.
I know plenty of women who drink Scotch. It has nothing to do with your gender and everything to do with your maturity -or whether or not Scottish blood course through your veins. :)

Reactions: shanez
Status
Not open for further replies.