PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pierre1965

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2020
My wife bought me a bottle of Lavagaulin 16 six years ago and I've never opened it. I tried Scotch once when I was about 24 and I wasn't manly enough for it. 30 plus years later and I'm still intimidated. I recently scored some Vintage Syrian Latakia and I don't know why, but I want to see how they'll pair. Any suggestions on how to drink this? Chilled, room temperature, neat, spring water? Any thought's on how it'll pair with this Latakia? Any other tobacco pairings you'd recommend with it? Any food pairings you'd recommend? Thanks gents.

Reactions: seanv

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
Hahaha, Lagavulin is a very bold scotch to start with. It is extremely smokey and peaty. For seasoned scotch drinkers, it would pair very well with Latakia.

However, introducing yourself to scotch with Lag 16 would be sort of like introducing yourself to craft beer with a smoked imperial stout or a 11% triple IPA.

There are much more “newbie” friendly scotches out there that are a lot more approachable for folks without an acquired taste for large amounts of peated malt.

That being said, give it a whirl! It’s a boldly flavored experience that for sure. If you find it abrasive just be aware scotch is very versatile and that one is on the high end of intensity for sure. If you don’t like it try some Macallan 12 or Glenkinchie. Much more approachable scotches for your average noob.

All scotch should be served neat, with literally a drop or two of water added to open up the nose.

Good luck! Either way the vintage syrian will be goodpuffy

alaskanpiper

Enabler in Chief
May 23, 2019
Alaska
^^^^That's a "gateway" Scotch!

I always recommend people not "drink" their Scotch. Instead, sip it. It's all about flavor.

Have some water or your favorite wine or beer on hand. Enjoy your pipe and take small, almost tiny, sips of the Scotch with it. Drink the water/wine/beer as necessary or if you're just thirsty.
Hahaha, exactly!

Reactions: Pierre1965

mikethompson

Lifer
Jun 26, 2016
Near Toronto, Ontario, Canada

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
Flavor?! No.
An old boot has flavor as well, that I’d rather not experience.

never have liked scotch but good luck to you, sir!

shanez

Lifer
Jul 10, 2018
Las Vegas
Lagavulin 16 is an exceptional whisky and, as others have noted, can be intimidating. My 1st Lagavulin 16 was not a good experience but it evolved into one of my favorite bottles over a period of about 10 years.
Similar thing here. I didn't care for it the first couple of times but then one time it just hit me and now it's my go to for a peaty Scotch.

Reactions: morgansteele

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I love the stuff. So smooth and velvety. But also a ton of peat.

Agree with the others -- drink it neat or with just a bit of water to take the edge off.

Briar Baron

Can't Leave
Sep 30, 2016
Sydney
I have been drinking Lagavulin 16 from about 15 years ago. Yes, neat for me but with one ice cube. The ice cube starts to melt and that does the same as the drops of water some suggest (IMHO of course). That being said finish the glass before the cube melts too much otherwise it is too diluted. Usually I drink it without an accompaniment.

BarrelProof

Lifer
Mar 29, 2020
The Last Frontier
I’ve never found a better gateway Scotch than Aberlour 12.

I’ll disagree with someone above - if you don’t like it, don’t mix it with ginger ale. You wouldn’t take a tobacco you didn’t like and roll it in a Swisher sweet and get after it, you’d cellar it and come back to it when your palate has evolved and it’s had time to mellow. Apply this to the Lagavulin. It won’t really mellow, but you’ll get time to refine your appreciation for the whisky in the interim.

boston

Part of the Furniture Now
Jun 27, 2018
Boston
Nothing to worry about, there is no way to mess this up. Just enjoy neat, and sip slowly. Anyone will be fine with that first rate scotch. It's not something to look for if you are thirsty, it's all about mountains of flavor. Add ice if you wish, it will dilute a bit, but slow and steady will assure that you will enjoy it. Have fun!

musicman

Lifer
Nov 12, 2019
Cincinnati, OH
As others have said, Lagavulin 16 is an exceptional dram. Like you, it was my first bottle of scotch as well, and it’s still my favorite scotch out there. While it’s smoky and peaty, I find it to be the smoothest, most balanced of the Islay scotches, with a backbone of sweetness to counteract the smokiness. I’d try it on its own before trying it while smoking, and as other have said, try it neat, then with a splash of water. And enjoy! If you like the smokiness and you want more of that, pick up some Laphraoig, and if you like the sweetness, look for some speyside scotches such as Macallan, Aberlour, or the Balvenie.

Pierre1965

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 6, 2020
Thanks for all the advice. I just finished my first "finger" of this amazing libation. I drank it neat and was expecting a lot of heat, but found that it was incredibly smooth. I took very small sips and held them in my mouth for a second or two to get a sense of mouth feel and experience the taste and smells. I'm so happy I "manned" up and gave this a go! It was hard not to pour a second glass, but I wanted to think on it for a bit and evaluate what I'd tasted. Tomorrow I plan to have another glass and pair it with some of my Syrian Latakia; something tells me they'll go well together. I'm excited, but may have just added another expensive taste to my budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.