PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

acme

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2011
I watched the discussion of lathes posted on the site, so I thought I would show one of the lathes that I make pipes on.

This lathe is called a Harris 3000. I have since done some modifications, and now refer to it as the Harris 3001.
harris3000.jpg

anthony

acme

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2011
Just because you turn pipes on a lathe doesn't mean that it is the only thing that you turn on it. You can turn anything that you can grab in a chuck. I have turned toothpicks out of ivory on this lathe.
anthony

winton

Lifer
Oct 20, 2010
The first picture shows the hunk of walnut mounted between centers. The second picture shows about a bushel or two of walnut mulch under the lathe, and the begining shape of a large bowl or hollow form emerging. You do a great job of containg the chips. I usually hang a tarp behind me to keep the chips near the area I am turning. What is the swing on that lathe? I can do 14" round and 42" long on my Jet.
Winton

acme

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 4, 2011
The lathe swings a little over thirty inches. I don't know exactly what length it will do; the lathe itself is ten feet long.
In the right-hand side of the bottom picture, you can see a cherrypicker engine hoist. The wood is green, and was over two hundred pounds when I started. The hoist came in handy geting it handy.
The shavings are all pretty close in because I started in at about 150 rpm, and never got over six. Those numbers are guesses, but the lathe only goes to about 1,400 rpm.
I sanded what you see and finished it with Watco. Showed it in a business lobby for a year and then sold it at a gallery show. Pretty good use for a cracked piece of wood.
I wasn't fibbing when I said that I had turned the tooth picks and pipes on the lathe, but I usually do that on my smaller lathe - that one that was in the article.
anthony

Status
Not open for further replies.