PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I normally don't get myself a birthday present. That's why I have friends and family right? But since I became a pipe smoker I can't help myself...
A truely terrific disease.
Onward to the loot. I am slowly making my way through all of H&H's blends. then onto G.L.Pease, McClelland, etc. It's a long road.
First up, I took advantage of the great samplers they have and picked out 12 different blends to quickly run through and get an impression of.
-Freight Train

-Feanchy's Sunza Bitches

-Vermont Meat Candy

-American Heritage

-Distinguished Penguin

-Steamroller

-Capital Stairs

-Daybreak

-Victorian Stroll

-Virginia Spice

-LJ Heart Burley

-LJ Heart Virginia
A Pound of Blackhouse
And 4oz of Marquee Lakeland Brickle FORTISSIMO (Really looking forward to that one)
Any thoughts that you guys wanna throw in on some of my selections?
2-2.jpg

hans

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 3, 2012
It would be really great if you did quick impression upon each tobacco as you tried them all in one thread. Could be a cool journey to follow. Like a sampler journal!

mountainman

Can't Leave
May 4, 2012
Nice haul!! Virginia spice is really good. I've also smoked distinguished penguin. It's very flaky and dry right out of the tin, but smokes cool and effortlessly. It's very intriguing. Latakia is definitely in the background , and nice balanced, sweet Virginia. It's kind of a creeper but has become a nice change of pave smoke. I'm really curios to find out your opinion of Capitol stairs. I think IIRC it is a Bur/perique.

spartan

Lifer
Aug 14, 2011
I'll do my best to run through the samples this weekend. I'll start with the ones you guys mentioned first.
-D Penguin

-Freight Train

-Capitol Stairs
Should be a fun weekend.
I'm gonna need some a lot of beer. 8)

jharvard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 2, 2011
Wow nice order there Spartan. I would like to know your thoughts on "Marquee Lakeland Brickle FORTISSIMO" when you smoke it 3 or 4 times. Keep us posted buddy. Thanks. :puffpipe:

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Ok I couldn't resist, so I lit up a bowl of Freight Train. Can't so a full review here as I'm smoking it as I write this. Plus I've recently smoked a bowl of Angler's Dream, so my palate may not have had time to cleanse, despite copious doses of a certain Tennessee whisky. So this is a real-time, stream-of-consciousness 'review'.
That disclaimer aside, initial impression is that this is the tangiest tobacco I have ever tasted, particularly at the charring light. It just smacks you in the face. Big dose of red VA here, so will bite back if rushed. Tang mellows a little bit as it gets going. Still tasting those red Virginias on the tip of my tongue. I think I detect some burley in the background, which is good. Not picking up much cavendish, but I may just be overwhelmed: a lot going on here. Moisture level was just right. Burns well. This reminds me a bit of Acadian Perique meets Hal o the Wynd. Robust, with a lot going on in the background and around the margins. Overall this is definitely a like. Too early to tell if it's a strong rotational like, let alone a love. Lots going on here. Will have to smoke some more over the next week and check back. Aptly named. Smoke this one SLOW to get at the complexity of flavors and transition that tang into savory/sweet. Sweet and sour comes to mind - yes! It's the sweet and sour sauce of tobacco.

jharvard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 2, 2011
Thanks Sothron. That was a good initial review on the fly. Will be interested in reading what you think after you smoke it a few more times. I have never tried "Freight Train" yet. Thanks for sharing. :puffpipe:

Perique

Lifer
Sep 20, 2011
www.tobaccoreviews.com
Freight Train update: ok, I get it: This one is an ass kicker. And this coming from a recovering cigarette smoker, dipper, former cigar collector, and bonafide nicotine addict. (though it might be the whisky getting to me at least as much as the tobacco)
Nicotine light-weights be forewarned!
The tang, however, has mellowed a bit, though it is there to the bottom of the bowl. I liken this, for the Virginia/Perique lover, to - as I paraphrase a famous cigar man - 'lobster diablo: fantastic, but you cannot eat it at every meal.'

jharvard

Starting to Get Obsessed
Dec 2, 2011
It keeps on getting interesting and more interesting. Thanks for the update. :puffpipe:

dragonslayer

Lifer
Dec 28, 2012
Pittsburgh
You're going to love the H&H VS, it will really wake your taste buds up. Smoking it right now, great for when you been smoking and ready to kick it up a notch!

Status
Not open for further replies.