PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

telescopes

Pipe Dreamer and Star Gazer
Remember, there are some who lurk here who believe that only seven Dunhills were made with the coveted Black Spot. Six have already been declared and now you have come forward with the seventh. Rejoice, for you are not alone and will soon be contacted by a mysterious rich man who will offer you $20,000 for your pipe.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
most of my pipes, this one included, were found in Argentina. I bought a handful of pipes on eBay, but most are found at antique fairs in Argentina. Is there a reason why it seems strange to you?
I don't think we found it strange, just curious and interesting. Most of us will never seen Argentina in our lifetime, so finding interesting Dunhills is a to-many-of-us is pretty exotic!

Dec 10, 2013
Nijmegen, the Netherlands
Dec 10, 2013
Remember, there are some who lurk here who believe that only seven Dunhills were made with the coveted Black Spot. Six have already been declared and now you have come forward with the seventh. Rejoice, for you are not alone and will soon be contacted by a mysterious rich man who will offer you $20,000 for your pipe.
I own the eight one with a similar "black dot " .
It is on sale for a mere $ 20.000 .

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
That's an interesting Dunhill, one of the longer shanked Canadian shapes I've seen in any brand. I believe that one dates back to the earlier era of Dunhills when they were top premium pipes, but cost a little less than Kaywoodie and neither pipe was beyond the average pipe smoker in price, if they raided the cookie jar. I think it was in the late fifties or early sixties when Dunhill got into heavy marketing, figuring rich guys and a lot of others would go way high in price if they were prompted by status signaling and social pressure. I think it was a kind of marketing genius. I know folks pick up Dunny estates online for twenty bucks, but out of the catalog, the average size Group four pipe costs about eight hundred bucks, into multiples of that. That's a great old timer, and I bet it will clean up well. Obviously, someone enjoyed it mightily in the past. I think the white dot can be approximated, although as a collector piece, it might be better to leave it alone, with the stem clearly an original.

Dec 10, 2013

Alejo R.

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 13, 2020
Buenos Aires, Argentina.
That's an interesting Dunhill, one of the longer shanked Canadian shapes I've seen in any brand. I believe that one dates back to the earlier era of Dunhills when they were top premium pipes, but cost a little less than Kaywoodie and neither pipe was beyond the average pipe smoker in price, if they raided the cookie jar. I think it was in the late fifties or early sixties when Dunhill got into heavy marketing, figuring rich guys and a lot of others would go way high in price if they were prompted by status signaling and social pressure. I think it was a kind of marketing genius. I know folks pick up Dunny estates online for twenty bucks, but out of the catalog, the average size Group four pipe costs about eight hundred bucks, into multiples of that. That's a great old timer, and I bet it will clean up well. Obviously, someone enjoyed it mightily in the past. I think the white dot can be approximated, although as a collector piece, it might be better to leave it alone, with the stem clearly an original.
Just a clean up
About price, If you see old catalogs the average Dunhill cost the same that the premium Kaywoodie.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I wouldn't fix the pipe up so much it doesn't get smoked. I bet it's a good smoker, since someone clearly thought so in the past.