PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
I've found so far that my favorite tobaccos that I find the most enjoyable and are turning into my regular rotation are:
Escudo

McClelland 2020 Mature Flake

Peter Stokkebye Luxury Bullseye Flake

Dunhill My Mixture 965

Peterson De Luxe Mixture

Acadian Perique

McCranies Red Ribbon for Virginias
I would like to try some Latakia blends and just thought I would ask what your recommendations are and was wondering what you folks might suggest.

Thanks in advance

fmgee

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 26, 2014
I like a hearty dose of orientals with my Latakia. If that sounds interesting try
Rattrays Red Rapparee

McClellands Oriental 14
For straight Latakia McClelland's British Woods is pretty good and loaded with Latakia. I do find it to be more one dimensional than the above blends.

beefeater33

Lifer
Apr 14, 2014
Central Ohio
Try some of Greg Pease's blends..........he's known as the Dark Lord. And for very good reason. In my opinion no one does Latakia better.

Odyssey, Abingdon, Westminster, Gaslight, Quiet Nights, Chelsea Morning..........All worth the price of admission!!

Enjoy the Journey!! :puffy:

May 4, 2015
Gaslight, beyond being just plain good, has a significant fun factor as well. Those little brownies are fun to play with.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Balkan Supreme

Balkan Sasieni

Yenidje Highlander

Pirate Kake

Black Frigate

Red Odessa

Vintage Syrian

oakbear

Might Stick Around
Dec 27, 2011
UK
+1 for those GLP blends.
Also....
Squadron Leader (Not a Lat powerhouse, but THE English imho)

GQ Classic Balkan

Fusilier's Ration

Cerberus

Margate

newbroom

Lifer
Jul 11, 2014
Florida
I was smoking my pipe for about 3 months or so before I ordered some bulk tobacco that was infused with Latakia.

It was one of those epiphany moments, just opening the box it came in, released by orders of magnitude, the aroma already leaking through the packaging. It was so strong it was shocking to me. (Newminster's #52, Ultimate English)

I giggled and laughed that I'd be putting this stuff into my pipe and smoking it. Until I got it jarred, the aroma permeated my entire dwelling.

There are SO MANY blends that include Latakia that it's overwhelming.

All the suggestions I've seen so far seem to be worthwhile.

One seemingly selective omission is Dunhill Nightcap.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Thanks folks. I really appreciate the input.

Will get an order ready and give some of those a whirl.

brass

Lifer
Jun 4, 2014
United States
So many Lats out there and most are delicious. But if I were pushed to pick the top three it would be SG Navy Flake, GLP Quiet Nights, Magnum Opus and Pirate Kake.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I would add votes for H&H White Knight (fine medium Balkan), H&H Larry's Blend (fuller Balkan), Dunhill Standard,and Peterson Old Dublin, both in the medium English category.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
Dunhill's My Mixture 965, Nat Sherman 536, and for the thrifty, Sutliff's Westminster, and GL Pease Westminster, among a thousand others. Latakia sure beats aromatic flavorings any day, as do non-aromatics with Perique, dark fired, and Orientals/Turkish. Gaslight is famously popular, but I'm still aging my unopened tin. Altadis Fox and Hound. On and on. I'd go one tin at a time, and try quite a few, before stocking up on anything with multiple tins or a big bulk order. The quest is half the fun.

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
You all realize this next order is going to cost me a small fortune and take me the rest of my life to smoke it all down. :puffpipe:

beezer

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 12, 2013
I'm currently smoking a bowl of MacBaren's HH Latakia Flake and I've grown to really like this blend. Of all the Latakia blends I have in my cellar, and I have many, this one is rising up the ranks and is in my top 3 right now. Just real smooth and enjoyable. Great stuff.

cobguy

Lifer
Oct 18, 2013
You all realize this next order is going to cost me a small fortune and take me the rest of my life to smoke it all down.
Well ... let me just add a few more tasty blends! :puffy:
Lancer's Slices

SPC Plum Pudding

Beck's Ol' Limey Bastard

C&D Star of the East

GLP Key Largo

shikano53

Lifer
May 26, 2015
Thanks Cobguy!
Just had a bowl of McClelland 2020 Mature Flake in my MM CG.
Beautiful, beautiful beautiful! :worship:

Status
Not open for further replies.