PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stompthroat

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 5, 2021
Maryland
Wow, I hope I never lose my LAT LOVE! I haven't been at it very long, but the tobacco OP lists are some of my favorites. I've never liked cigarettes or any burley blends.

If I had to take a guess, I would say your mouth has gotten used to the smoke. In the beginning, I hated the lingering ashtray taste that some blends would leave. Nowadays I don't notice it as much. OH but my wife sure does.

lawdawg

Lifer
Aug 25, 2016
I agree with the implication throughout this thread that a good Virginia smoked with refined and practiced technique is the pinnacle of pipe smoking.

However I also think the general trend in recent years that “connoisseurs don’t care for Latakia” is overstated (not to put words in anyone’s mouth, but that appears to be the implication). For example, the incense-laden notes in GLP Quiet Nights are absolutely sublime. In my experience, QN needs to be dried and packed just right to get the best flavors, but when it’s hitting on all cylinders, it’s every bit as complex and refined as a good Virginia flake.

Granted, there is nothing subtle about Latakia, but sometimes the delicate whispy Virginias don’t do it for me, and if I want big flavor and a lot of smoke, then it’s a Latakia or a burley blend than I’ll reach for.

AKinser79

Might Stick Around
Aug 3, 2021
Central Florida
I have only been smoking a pipe for about a year, but when i first started, i couldnt get enough latakia. I was smoking pirate kake, ten russians, quiet nights, ten to midnight, nightcap, and presbyterian all the time.

now the only of the blends that are palatable to me are presbyterian (which has only a tiny bit, or quiet nights, where the red virginias do the heavy lifting to me.

now for five months or so i only have really been wanting to smoke virginias/vapers and lakelands.

i cant think of another time in my life my tastes changed so fast

is this common/did it happen to any of you? Its quite strange. I am setting aside all my latakia blends for the forseeable future.

Way back in the 1990s when I started smoking I smoked only aromatics. From PA Cherry Vanilla to LQ1 to you name it. Basically if it smelled like fruit, dessert or booze I wanted it. Then I was introduced to Balkan Solbranie and I fell in love with latakia. Over the years I've dialed the latakia up and dialed it down (I kind of dabble in blending). What I smoke depends on my mood, time of day, weather outside (I do not recommend smoking a heavy English when you have to smoke outside in 100 F Florida heat with 80%+ humidity) and other factors.

Do I still smoke aromatics? Yes, from time to time, but I find that I want them to be very tobacco forward rather than flavoring/casing forward. But I went years and years without touching aromatics at all. During the hot months I tend to gravitate toward VAs and VA/Pers more often. During the cooler months much more English blends. Burley pretty much anytime--I love me some good earthy burley especially in a cob, well most blends are better in cobs anyway but I digress.

That being said tastes change, sometimes for no discernable reason. I would suggest that if these are blends you liked before that you hold on to them, at least a little while (say two years or so) and try them again later. After 26 years of pipe smoking I've gone back and forth so many times as to what I want to smoke that it makes my head swim thinking about it (or maybe it is the Five Brothers).

macaroni

Lifer
Oct 28, 2020
Texas
I too was single minded in my deep enjoyment of Latakia. Still love it. BUT Burley is now even MORE appealing to me :). Go figure! Maybe I don't have slow smoking technique perfected enough to really enjoy Va--dunno? And as for Perique--while I love pepper--all sorts (fresh ground black, ground red, & a variety of fresh peppers--whole or roasted)--I can't stand the peppery flavor that Perique gives my taste buds--I'm clueless on this!
kindly
mike

AKinser79

Might Stick Around
Aug 3, 2021
Central Florida
I agree with the implication throughout this thread that a good Virginia smoked with refined and practiced technique is the pinnacle of pipe smoking.

I'm unsure if that is the implication of the thread or not. If it is, I would argue that those who claim this to be the case are absolutely, 110% wrong.

The pinnacle of pipe smoking is smoking a loved blend, in a loved pipe, with a suited technique.

Since blend, pipe and technique are all inherently personal there isn't a objective universal pinnacle of pipe smoking; rather, there are millions and millions of subjective personal pinnacles. Each of these pinnacles is valid.

elvishrunes

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 19, 2017
Yup, like Dave said, it’s all about the smell that makes Lat so appealing, it does have a full flavour too…. I experiment with other stuff but always come back, even if I disappear for a few months. I would still choose a strong english if that was my one and only smoke…. I think Virginias are overrated, but haven‘t had enough to fully know. I think I’ll order some soon.

scout19d3

Can't Leave
Jul 6, 2021
Katy, TX USA
I have only been smoking a pipe for about a year, but when i first started, i couldnt get enough latakia...
[......]
is this common/did it happen to any of you? Its quite strange. I am setting aside all my latakia blends for the forseeable future.
Your timing in impeccable!
About an hour ago, 20 mins before I read this thread, I stopped - looked over to my tobacco shelf and wondered why I had not smoked any of my Mountain Camp in the past couple of weeks. I was chuckling to myself as I finished reading this entire thread and simultaneously the bowl of tobacco...
So rest easy. Your tastes may just move between flavors and come back again

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
Balance is key. You can definitely have too much of a good thing. If I smoke too much lat all the time, I start to want heavier(more lat) blends. It's better to switch it up, I seem to appreciate the milder blends more if I'm not always smoking latakia blends.

My phases of preference cycle every couple weeks as I focus on different leaves for my blending. I've come to prefer medium(15-25%) amounts of latakia these days.

Just take a break and discover some virginia blends for a bit. When you come back to a lat blend, you'll be able to better taste and pick out the virginias IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.