PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
I really don't know, though they are my region's tobaccos, and tobacco aficionados over here will talk your ears off about how great Greek and Balkan (and Turkish, if they are in a good mood!) tobaccos are, how floral, sweet, etc etc etc. I admit I was a bit short-sighted and didn't want to try it, and was extremely pleasantly surprised, it really tastes like a blend yet it is single leaf. It tastes pretty full, pungent but also light, fragrant, floral, and it definitely made me think of curry and cumin, but it hadn't really clicked with me before reading about it.

Also, apologies for the double post, I'm definitely planning to try the bolded bit below :) Only question is: how do you use the tonka beans? I thought to grind them in alcohol, like spiced rum, filter the sludge out after a couple of days, then dissolve some honey in the mixture and proceed with how you told me in PM (heat the tobacco in the oven and mist a few times)
Yep that's what I do with the tonka beans, although maybe a week is better for a full exttaction. Give it a shake every day or two . I would say maybe not a spiced rum(straight run or bourbon or something)to get the pure flavour of the tonka bean and you could mix with a spiced rum later. I go for a very potent mixture and use maybe a 5 tonka beans per 50ml(I'm not sure as I don't really measure maybe it's more) . Use as much tonka beans as seems reasonable with the amount of liquid so it's not just complete sludge and you can drain it out. You can always add more of the alcohol to dilute it(and you will need more alcohol or waterto spray it on) instead of ending up with a ln extract that isn't potent enough.

Reactions: JOHN72

F4RM3R

Part of the Furniture Now
Nov 28, 2019
Canada
Lat and Perique are wonderful condiments, and I'd be fibbing if I said I didn't enjoy them, but they are grossly overused, the default condiments in too many blends. So always consider leaving them out. You'll get plenty of both whether you want them or not.
Yep sometimes less is more! I am guilty of abusing of perique as I do like things spicy and strong usually and I've experimented with lat bombs, but grow tired of those quickly and now I'm really into using subtle amount of latakia to add richness instead of smokyness. I'm smoking a va/cav/ky/per/lat blend right now with 5% lat, although it has 20% perique haha

I've been smoking another blend alot lately with va/cav/ky/or/perique similar to macbarens acadian perique(although I've never had that one) and it's been amazing with condimental amounts of oriental and perique. If it had some lat it would be a very full English, but instead there is more room for everything else to play on each other.

Last edited:
Reactions: labrax and JOHN72