PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

smoketime

Lurker
Aug 2, 2014
Hello everyone. I'm wondering what your favorite strong (nicotine-wise, not necessarily lat bomb) latakia mixtures are. I'm familiar with Nightcap, and right now I'm enjoying C&D's Billy Budd and Hermit's Ten Russians. Also - I've been tempted to dice up some Brown Irish Twist into some blends to ratchet them up, but haven't gone there - yet! So if you have any recommendations along those lines, please let me know what combos have worked out for you.
Thanks!

Reactions: danimalia

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
San Francisco Bay Area, USA
These are pretty rare birds in my experience. C&D Burley Flake #4 is primarily burley, but it has some Latakia. Sillem's Commodore Flake is one a lot of people mention. I had my first bowl of it today, but I had lots of interruptions, so I couldn't properly gauge the nicotine level. Seemed like it had more than the standard Latakia blend, though, and it sure was tasty.

Best bet might be to buy some GH&C Kendal Kentucky and some blending Latakia, and any other leaf you want and make up something yourself.

smoketime

Lurker
Aug 2, 2014
Thanks for these! I was eye-balling Bow Legged Bear but it's on my list now for sure. And Burley Flake #4 is a great idea. That's on the list now, too.

elessar

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 24, 2019
McConnell Latakia Flake. Not my favorite but it seems to pack a punch to me at least. Rumor is it is the same as the Commodore Flake.

ram74

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 7, 2013
+2 on McConnell Latakia Flake. It is strong. The other one no one mentions is GLP Sextant.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
McConnell Latakia Flake. Not my favorite but it seems to pack a punch to me at least. Rumor is it is the same as the Commodore Flake.

That's interesting. On TR, everyone remarks on the topping with Latakia Flake, but virtually nobody does on the reviews for Commodore Flake. As I said, I had my first bowl of Commodore Flake today, and I definitely noticed a fairly prominent added flavoring. I liked it quite a bit, though. Tasted like berries or fruit and maybe a bit of Vanilla, and it worked well.

Chasing Embers

Captain of the Black Frigate
Nov 12, 2014
Nicotine in pipe tobacco.

giphy.webp

Reactions: saintpeter

David_Lawrence

Might Stick Around
Sep 25, 2019
What's with all the nicotine craze lately? If your primary objective is nicotine, I'd propose buying some patches and gum. Seriously. If you insist though, I'd recommend you first try GLP Jack Knife Plug and Mac Baren HH Bold Kentucky. You can ramp up from there with some Gawith ropes/twists.

I'm still new to this game and one of the more surprising things I found with pipe communities is that desiring strong nicotine content is a real faux pas with many. As someone who initially came to pipe smoking explicitly for the nicotine (not wanting to wait anywhere between 4 and 20 days for snus and braving the cravings) and stayed for everything else, I can answer.

I'll say first that I no longer buy snus, the slow release of nicotine through pipe smoking let me fade that habit out without going cold turkey. I'll also say that the everything else is the "primary objective" of pipe smoking and I quickly learned that when I started—but—I still love the nicotine hit of a first pipe smoke of the day and surely pipe smoking would never have existed so near ubiquitously in the past if it weren't for the enjoyment of nicotine? It's a subtle thing, not like snus that slaps you round the face, but it's part of the soothing smoking experience. Even if you only smoke blends with barely any nicotine, your tolerance will be such that barely any nicotine is all it takes to have an effect.

This doesn't reduce pipe smoking to chuffing a cigarette in 30 seconds purely to feed the addiction, it's still the haughty and sophisticated hobby we know and love, but mixed in with the flavours and sensory pleasure is the enjoyment of nicotine on the brain.

So "seriously", nicotine gum is expensive and intentionally disgusting in addition to being woefully weak. Patches stave of withdrawal, they take slow release to another level. Pipe smoking is obviously far more enjoyable than either of these and lets you enjoy the effects of nicotine, not just avoid the craving. Those are solutions for people who want to kick their addiction, not enjoy the chemical reaction the same way a coffee drinker does - without shame.

The aversions among pipe smokers are quite curious.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
A bunch of words and stuff.....
I have to agree so much. And your one comment reminds me of something I read a long time ago about how nicotine is a pretty big drug, however the effects are outwardly pretty subtle. Those effects are basically best described as ones brain works smoother with some nicotine. My favorites here are the I smoke all day and never get a thing from the nicotine. Honestly if you want to see some danders getting raised, just accurately refer to nicotine as a drug (you know like aspirin or prickly lettuce.)

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I'm still new to this game and one of the more surprising things I found with pipe communities is that desiring strong nicotine content is a real faux pas with many. As someone who initially came to pipe smoking explicitly for the nicotine (not wanting to wait anywhere between 4 and 20 days for snus and braving the cravings) and stayed for everything else, I can answer.

I'll say first that I no longer buy snus, the slow release of nicotine through pipe smoking let me fade that habit out without going cold turkey. I'll also say that the everything else is the "primary objective" of pipe smoking and I quickly learned that when I started—but—I still love the nicotine hit of a first pipe smoke of the day and surely pipe smoking would never have existed so near ubiquitously in the past if it weren't for the enjoyment of nicotine? It's a subtle thing, not like snus that slaps you round the face, but it's part of the soothing smoking experience. Even if you only smoke blends with barely any nicotine, your tolerance will be such that barely any nicotine is all it takes to have an effect.

This doesn't reduce pipe smoking to chuffing a cigarette in 30 seconds purely to feed the addiction, it's still the haughty and sophisticated hobby we know and love, but mixed in with the flavours and sensory pleasure is the enjoyment of nicotine on the brain.

So "seriously", nicotine gum is expensive and intentionally disgusting in addition to being woefully weak. Patches stave of withdrawal, they take slow release to another level. Pipe smoking is obviously far more enjoyable than either of these and lets you enjoy the effects of nicotine, not just avoid the craving. Those are solutions for people who want to kick their addiction, not enjoy the chemical reaction the same way a coffee drinker does - without shame.

The aversions among pipe smokers are quite curious.

Fair response. Why the attitude about nicotine junkies? I had to consider that for a few moments. I suppose focusing on nicotine seems to insult what I'd guess for most pipe smokers are the more important factors/pleasures. Focusing on nicotine almost seems crass and insulting.

I kicked a 2 pack or day cigarette habit in 2007. I switched from 6 cigars per day to pipe a couple of years ago. So I enjoy my nicotine as well but it's a secondary factor when choosing tobacco. However, is your money and choice, I didn't mean to insult you if nicotine is higher on your priority list.

danimalia

Lifer
Sep 2, 2015
I've always tried to be pretty straight up on this subject. I'm addicted to nicotine. I smoked cigarettes for close to 25 years and it was only this past July that I finally ditched them. I probably average about 6 bowls a day. I would say that i require strong nicotine presence for 2 of them. First thing in the morning is my major jonesing period. Luckily, I've found a number of blends that deliver the goods, but just as importantly, I love the taste.

Beyond that, I have a lot of latitude to smoke just about anything I want, and I love a lot of VA and Latakia blends that might be short on nicotine, but rich with flavor and aroma.

I don't take offense to Hoosier's comments, though. I suspect we all have pet peeves and annoyances with the way other folks talk about pipes and tobaccos.

Status
Not open for further replies.