PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
Need some help here friends.
About 8 months ago when I started smoking a pipe and joined this forum I was smoking mostly Aro's and CH. I have since tried an awful lot of different tobaccos and several pipes. As most of you know I am very fond of my MM Cobs and pretty much smoke them exclusively.

Now back to the tobacco, I find myself moving away from aro's and into a few different types of baccy. I have found that at this time I do not really care for Virginia or Perique much at all. FMC has become my tobacco of choice over the past month or so, I find the Original Frog Morton actually a bit bland compared to FMC.

Now I am wondering if I could get some recommendations of tobacco that would be similar to FMC, I think it is the Latakia flavor that I am starting to really like.

Looks like I am gonna have to revisit the Nightcap and EMP that I jarred up months ago.

Thanks in advance all.

chervokas

Might Stick Around
Jul 21, 2013
I'm only a couple of months in to regular pipe smoking after 30 years of cigar smoking and I'm finding I love English blend with a strong latakia presence. EMP is definitely not one of those--there's a little latakia in the tin aroma, but not much in the smoke. For a perfectly balanced English smoke that's not overkill with the latakia, but which is still lat heavy, I'm absolutely thrilled with H&H Magnum Opus; amazing balance between the orientals and the latakia, and a very dry smoke as in not much sweetness, which to me kind of clears out space for the smokiness earthiness of the latakia. For more of a lat bomb I've quite enjoyed McClelland Blue Mountain, though it's a much more one dimensional and sweeter smoke.

barleynbaccy

Can't Leave
May 31, 2013
Sutliff No. 5 - A robust English blend with character. Plenty of Latakia, Pressed Virginia and Burley provide the base. Perfect for fans of Dunhill My Mixture #965.
Sutliff Bosphorus Cruise - Mixture of Oriental, Latakia, and Red Virginia. A bit lighter on the latakia than the No. 5, yet full flavored, with enough latakia to meld well with the other leaves.
No.5 is the one I always give as an example. If you like FMC, I think BC is pretty close to what FMC would be without the whiskey.

supdog

Can't Leave
Nov 10, 2012
McClelland bulk 5125 Coyote Classic, I find it similar to FMC. Another fav of mine is H&H Ambassador's blend.

05venturer

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Amery,WI
just got a tin of Old Dublin in the mail that I got off ebay (for the collectible tin) and smoked a bowl and that is really good. Pretty much fits my tastes (for now). Thanks for all the suggestions so far. I feel a TAD coming on!

salewis

Can't Leave
Jan 27, 2011
Try GLP Westminster, McCleland's 3 Oaks Syrian or Blue Mountain or if you like a oriental forward latakia blend Dunhill London Mixture or Gawith's Squadron Leader.

wyfbane

Lifer
Apr 26, 2013
Tennessee
I'm with supdog, I immediately thought of Coyote Classic, so +1 there. And Roth's Sutliff suggestions are good as well.
=D

drcarlo

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 31, 2013
EMP is more charakterized by its orientals. The Latakia is just keeping the mixture together. I can highly recommend it. I smoke EMP every morning.
A Latakia mixture I'd like to recommend is Rattray's 7 Reserve. Dunhill MM965 is also an excellent choice.

yaddy306

Lifer
Aug 7, 2013
Regina, Canada
I am also looking for latakia recommendations.
My first foray into latakia started with a bulk from a b&m.

It tasted very incense-y, if that makes sense. I don't like this flavour.
Is it the latakia that makes it taste like incense?

If so, then I don't think I'm a fan of latakia blends.

Is it orientals?

I've read that EMP and others might have that incense taste from the orientals.
Please recommend a non incense type mild latakia for me to try.

cortezattic

Lifer
Nov 19, 2009
Chicago, IL
The incense taste and aroma comes from combining Latakia with an Oriental.

Exactly which ones, I don't know; but probably Cyprian Latakia and Izmir.

Send a PM to blendtobac here at PipesMagazine.com. He knows all about it.

phil22

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 19, 2013
Yaddy...try Yale Mixture from C & D. It is an underrated blend in my opinion. A smooth Latakia and VA blend.

Status
Not open for further replies.