PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

romanza10

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 10, 2012
South Carolina
I packed my last bowl of Frog Morton this evening. Been working on the 50gram tin for a couple of months, almost three. It's not a bad smoke at all. It's got the Latakia thing going on, but it's very mild. The VAs in it are sweet, but not too sweet and work well with the Latakia. But for me, I failed to get why it seems so popular.
It's a very pleasant and mild English blend. I don't find it very complicated, that is to say, I could never find any other flavors other than the VA and Lat. All good, my only thing with this blend was the tobacco in the tin stayed as moist from the day I opened it till the bowl I packed this evening. It's just weird, but I do think there maybe something like PG in it. Also, I always had a hard time getting it lit, but once it took to light it burned well.
I probably won't buy it again, not because it's bad, just no strength to it. I'm really a VA guy (and there are some strong VAs) but when I'm going to smoke an English I personally expect the vitamin-N to be more noticeable.

romanza10

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 10, 2012
South Carolina
nsfisher said: I like to use the FM for layering. I smoke hardly no tobacco's straight up.
I personally would not care for that. I have a bag of mixed VAs, and I can't taste them apart from each other. It quite honestly taste all like McB VA#1, I don't care for that. I can no longer taste the subtleties of the individual VAs. I even did that with some English blends I had (not FM) and some Balkan I had as well and lost the effect of what each blend was supposed to do.
thesmokindragon said: what type pipe is that in your avatar?
It's my straight billiard Meerschaum. It's darkened at the base of the bowl and shank really well. Also, I've got a wind cap on it too. The wind cap is both pratical and I like the way it looks on the pipe, even if it's not windy.
IMG062.jpg

orionpyoung

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 5, 2012
Marquette Michigan
I've only tried Across The Pond and On The Bayou. The Pond is a little on the mild side but I absolutely loved the Bayou! Still have about a quarter bowls worth of loose stuff in the tin that I occasionally take a whiff of, just waiting till my next order...
and wow! That is a gorgeous meerschaum, I love the wind cap also.

romanza10

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 10, 2012
South Carolina
orionpyoung said: I've only tried Across The Pond and On The Bayou. The Pond is a little on the mild side but I absolutely loved the Bayou! Still have about a quarter bowls worth of loose stuff in the tin that I occasionally take a whiff of, just waiting till my next order...
and wow! That is a gorgeous meerschaum, I love the wind cap also.
I've only tried the original Frog. I liked it, but too mild for me to think about trying the other ones. And thanks for the compliment.

haroldt

Starting to Get Obsessed
Aug 4, 2013
Melbourne, Fl
While I'm coming to the party a tad late. You state in your first post
But for me, I failed to get why it seems so popular.... I don't find it very complicated
perhaps that's the answer - it's not complicated.
Me - I'm too new here to know that differences between the baccy to understand complexity and I'm just excited that I can keep the darn thing lit!

rmason

Part of the Furniture Now
Jan 27, 2013
Yes orionpyoung, Bayou is the best of the Froggies I've tasted. Also you really should give Bayou or the others a try they really are good tobaccos.

~Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.