PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

tozert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2017
Cornwall
BROBS, I have never stopped making pipes, but I do take breaks from time to time. The first time was a hand injury that stopped pipe making in its tracks and made me rethink relying solely on a one-career model. I disappeared for awhile, stopped selling to retailers, and worked as a gunsmith for five years. During this time I was making only a handful of pipes per year, mostly commissions. Gunsmithing was fun and interesting, but all the work was done in a windowless, soulless room and it became real boring in the end. I decided it was the wrong second career for someone who craves variety and artistic freedom.

I then decided to pursue a degree in Psychotherapy, and my workshop became a study and therapy room. Once I became qualified, I didn't want my new clients to sit in a dusty, workshop-y room, so last summer I expanded and upgraded the workshop with a high power dust extraction system and reorganised the shop. No more dusty shelves! This period represents many more months of very little pipe production, but I did find a second career that fits perfectly alongside pipe making, both careers taking place in the same space.

Since the pandemic, life and client work has slowed down, so yes I am back in the workshop and have started to populate my website with new pipes. I don't get much attention these days, relying mostly only on word of mouth, so I'm very little known (I think) to the new generation of pipe smokers. The breaks I take from pipe making, and the fact I'm so quiet in the community, can make it appear that I no longer make pipes. Perhaps I need to learn to be more outspoken on the forum. Threads like this one gives me the opportunity to inform everyone that I'm alive and well, and still making pipes.

BROBS

Lifer
Nov 13, 2019
IA
BROBS, I have never stopped making pipes, but I do take breaks from time to time. The first time was a hand injury that stopped pipe making in its tracks and made me rethink relying solely on a one-career model. I disappeared for awhile, stopped selling to retailers, and worked as a gunsmith for five years. During this time I was making only a handful of pipes per year, mostly commissions. Gunsmithing was fun and interesting, but all the work was done in a windowless, soulless room and it became real boring in the end. I decided it was the wrong second career for someone who craves variety and artistic freedom.

I then decided to pursue a degree in Psychotherapy, and my workshop became a study and therapy room. Once I became qualified, I didn't want my new clients to sit in a dusty, workshop-y room, so last summer I expanded and upgraded the workshop with a high power dust extraction system and reorganised the shop. No more dusty shelves! This period represents many more months of very little pipe production, but I did find a second career that fits perfectly alongside pipe making, both careers taking place in the same space.

Since the pandemic, life and client work has slowed down, so yes I am back in the workshop and have started to populate my website with new pipes. I don't get much attention these days, relying mostly only on word of mouth, so I'm very little known (I think) to the new generation of pipe smokers. The breaks I take from pipe making, and the fact I'm so quiet in the community, can make it appear that I no longer make pipes. Perhaps I need to learn to be more outspoken on the forum. Threads like this one gives me the opportunity to inform everyone that I'm alive and well, and still making pipes.
Well I’ll keep an eye out at your work!!! I was thinking of your break when fixing up the workshop... and never knew you had finished!

Reactions: bnichols23

pipestud

Lifer
Dec 6, 2012
Robinson, TX.
A couple of years ago, Paul emailed me and asked if I would trade a couple of old 100g tins of Dunhill Royal Yacht for a pipe that he would make for me. I took him up on the offer and am glad I did. He knew that I was a lover of American made tan blast pipes in more or less classic shapes and this is the one he made for me. I smoke it almost every day and it always delivers a terrific smoke. I highly recommend Larrysson pipes!

IMG_7410.JPG

mingc

Lifer
Jun 20, 2019
The Big Rock Candy Mountains

Pipemaker, gunsmith, and psychotherapist. You might be the only person in the world with that range of expertises! Amazing

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
tozert, you've answered an earlier question of mine on another post, about whether pros read Forums. Glad you are back in action, in carving and on Forums.

Reactions: BROBS

tozert

Starting to Get Obsessed
Apr 26, 2017
Cornwall
If you consider me a pro...that makes me a happy man! Yes, this is generally the ONLY forum I ever frequent. Believe it or not, I'm here most every day for a bit. But as I get older, and partly because of counselling training, I find myself more interested in listening (reading) than I do in sharing. I suppose, by the evening hours, I've used up my word quota for the day and just want to shut my thoughts down and enjoy spending quiet time on the forum. Pipes Magazine rocks, and I'm grateful for it.

Scarlet claw

Can't Leave
Mar 9, 2020
A pipe pro that is in my opinion a sleeping giant living in cornwall, Is a proud edition to the Kernow brotherhood.
A man with pure integrity to his fellow man and a incredible artisan. i'm proud to be asked to vist his workshop and meet him. i will bring scones. Jam first then cream obviously.

Status
Not open for further replies.