Lane Ltd...."10 Downing Street"....Any Substitutes?

SmokingPipes.com Updates

48 Fresh AKB Meerschaum Pipes
New Cigars
12 Fresh Brigham Pipes
12 Fresh Claudio Cavicchi Pipes
6 Fresh Radice Pipes

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

wy2w

Might Stick Around
Nov 10, 2015
@deathmetal - Thanks for the recipe! I've gone through my inventory, and I see that I'm short some Red Virginia, and I'm also low on the Orientals. I guess I'm going to have to pay my on-line friends a little visit to restock (Oh Man, is that going to piss the wife off!). I would like to hold off until some sales pop up, but I want to try this blend immediately. I'm going to first try the blend sans the Dark Fired Kentucky Burley to get a feel for it, and then do some experimentation. I do like that Burley though; Peterson Irish Flake, yum, yum! Now if I could just start my own tobacco plantation, and...
Thanks Again, Brother...
@mso489 - Yes, I do like the Lat-Bomb every once in awhile, too. It kind of resets the circuit breakers. and cleanses. Thanks for the Nat Sherman 536 suggestion. I will definitely add that to the list. When I see pros like you and deathmetal speak up, I heed.
It's kind of funny, I've been smoking for over fifty years, and I've just been in my own little universe; smoking, working, and moving on. Then I retired, and realized that I've been missing out on way too much! But I guess that's what life is: you struggle to prove your worth, and then you realize what a waste of time that was, too late. I think I'm going to have that put on my headstone :rofl: . Ok, enough philosophy, it's time to smoke, and keep moving on!
@sumusfumus - Actually, that's a good idea; a compilation of just recipes, and then approach those recipes on a different forum thread(s), thus not detracting from the recipe's intent. What I mean is that this recipe, that deathmetal has given us, is buried deep within this thread, and many will not see its virtues.
Keep On Smoking! :puffy:

pappymac

Lifer
Feb 26, 2015
Frank -

Nice description of "Old New York." I just wish those shops would have been around when I was stationed on Governors Island from 1986-89. We used to shop the Lower Manhatten area all the time and I don't remember any tobacconists in that area. There was all types of discount stores though and the subway rides were short to even more shopping areas.

sumusfumus

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2017
New York City
Just tried a huge bowl of McClelland's 2050, described as an Oriental Cavendish -blended without Latakia. Excellent tobaccy, and no burning leather stench! I am definitely not a Latakia lover, and can barely tolerate the small amounts of Latakia

that Lane includes in their "HGL"....another very good tobacco...if you let it dry out for a few days before lighting it up. Both blends were sweet, and mild, burned cool, and not harsh on my tongue. Very pleasant. Nice, fragrant smoke. If I had to pick between the two, McClelleand's #2050 would be my choice, but either will do. I'm not very picky, and certainly no connoisseur of pipe tobaccos.
I can't gravitate towards any of the gooey, steamy, fake-flavored, "aromatics" -which eliminates a huge number of tobacco blends. Searching for Latakia-free, mild, English/Oriental-type mixtures, made only from natural tobaccos, even further narrows one's choices.
I'm thinking maybe a 50-50 mixture of "HGL" and McClelland's #2050 might work some magic.... cast an elusive spell over me, and will change this jaded, fossilized man into some bejeweled, Turkish sultan, reclining on one elbow, on a silken couch, eating grapes, while being entertained by exotic dancing girls.
Frank

deathmetal

Lifer
Jul 21, 2015
I do like that Burley though; Peterson Irish Flake, yum, yum!
This one might also be interesting:
http://www.tobaccoreviews.com/blend/559/gawith-hoggarth-co-coniston-cut-plug
Warning: Lakeland Essence!!! You will probably need to cage it and age it, meaning put it in a jar and let it sit for a few months, so that the extremes of Lakeland-ness wear off. But this is top-notch leaf.

wy2w

Might Stick Around
Nov 10, 2015
@deathmetal - Thanks for the suggestion - I'll pick some up, and cage it for a while... LOL!

Status
Not open for further replies.