PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

1adsarge

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2016
NE Nevada
Got an email today from P&C about Lanes new aromatic blend, Dark Red. It sounds good so I ordered 4oz's. Here is the description from P&C:

From the company that makes the largest-selling bulk aromatic blends in the US comes an all-new black Cavendish that we're sure is going to become one of their most popular pipe tobaccos - Lane Dark Red.

Using the same Green River black Cavendish base as their ever-popular BCA, Lane's Dark Red is one of the most flavorful and fragrant tobaccos they've ever made. The soft, rich leaf is imbued with a deep, robust combination of cherry and confectionery flavors that will more than satisfy the pipester with a sweet tooth, and will delight anyone in the area. If you're looking for an all-day blend with an amazing room note, look no further than Dark Red.

Strength: Mild-Medium

Tobacco: Black Cavendish

Style: Aromatic

Room Note: 4 - Distinct

Anyone else going to give this a try? It's going for $2.50 an ounce. I'll be sure to report back here once I have had a chance to try it out.
Cheers,

Jared

texmexpipe

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 20, 2014
Certainly sounds interesting to me. I had a bowl of TK-6 tonight, I mixed it with some C&D Butley flake #1. I look forward to reading a review on this one.

lestrout

Lifer
Jan 28, 2010
Chester County, PA
Yo lad

RussO wasn't able to attend the last Lehigh Valley PC meeting, but his colleague DanC (Gabrieli Pipes) brought a packet of this cherry blend. Although the late departed Middleton Cherry Blend was one of my first blends back in the '60s, I don't think I finished the pouch. When I discovered Peretti's and Leavitt & Pierce, and also Dunhills and Sobranie 759, the pouches of various blends obtainable at the school bookstore became orphans, despite the obvious appeal of the pleasant room notes. But then, I puffed for my own pleasure, the sensibilities of chicks and bystanders be damned.
That said, I sample all sorts of blends just to see what's out there, and when Russ developed the Missouri Meerschaum series, I thought his Great Dane was the best cherry, and for that matter, fruit flavored blend I had ever come across. The cherry let the tobacco flavors come through, and yet the cherry flavor itself in the smoke was consistent with the tin (bag) note. The cherry flavor also didn't disappear at first light - it remained present throughout the bowl.
This Lane Dark Red is more dramatic in its cherryness, and it similarly doesn't fade as the bowl progresses. The cherry taste was fairly complex, with notes of vanilla adding other dimensions of flavor. One salient characteristic is the smoothness of the whole smoke, with a full black cavendish character. There was no chemical taste, which I sometimes find in lesser aromatics. I'm betting you will like this blend.
hp

les

1adsarge

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2016
NE Nevada
Hey Les,
Thanks for the detailed info. I don't know if I'll be able to measure up to your detail but it does have me enthusiastic about trying this new stuff!
Cheers,

Jared

Status
Not open for further replies.