PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lawyer66

Can't Leave
Nov 21, 2020
Grand Cayman
Rather than post a full-on review here for a tobacco that has been reviewed more times than enough, I will say this. I can tell what all the buzz is about with this one. Really strong consistent flavour out of my MM Legend 5th Avenue straight this evening (currently, my only pipe for aromatics). Decided to walk down to the beach to get a view of the conjunction of Jupiter. Sat in the sand and puffed away. It was pitch black so the only thing telling me that my pipe was still lit was either the glowing ember or the rich taste of vanilla. Not a bad way to spend the night at all. I think the cut of this is smaller than traditional ribbon, but not a shag cut. Still, I really enjoyed this one and can see no reason why I wouldn't keep a stock on hand.

gamzultovah

Lifer
Aug 4, 2019
I smoked quite a bit of 1-Q early on, things were simpler then. To be honest, I recommend that you don’t ever stop smoking it because when you do, things don’t get better, they just get more complicated and more costly. Enjoy 1-Q, my friend.

Lawyer66

Can't Leave
Nov 21, 2020
Grand Cayman
I smoked quite a bit of 1-Q early on, things were simpler then. To be honest, I recommend that you don’t ever stop smoking it because when you do, things don’t get better, they just get more complicated and more costly. Enjoy 1-Q, my friend.

I agree. The straightforward taste of this blend doesn't leave all that time to suss out the flavors. It is what it is and that's what struck me the most when smoking it. Its flavoring is vanilla and I taste vanilla. Not that I don't enjoy more complex aromatics, but this is just easy to smoke.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
1Q is a decent aromatic in my book. Not at all moist or goopy. I smoke at least one bowl a day, usually in an MM cob.
I've ordered a pound and 8oz of Vanilla Custard [Not tried but great reviews]

Fingers crossed it makes it to me door as I'm down to an ounce.

Reactions: Lawyer66

shermnatman

Lifer
Jan 25, 2019
Philadelphia Suburbs, Pennsylvania
Extremely wise-words above!

I hadn't smoked 1-Q in quite a few years; and yesterday, I just had my first 'reunion' bowl since that time.

It was really refreshing to revisit this old Lane Limited favorite from my past.

I would still be a regular smoker of 1-Q, if and only if, I could find a way to seriously boost the nicotine-level, without altering the taste or the balance of the 1-Q mixture itself.

Since that reunion bowl, I have been working on tweaking the 1-Q mixture to boost the nic-levels.

So far, I haven't had any luck experimenting; as 1-Q is - in comparison to what I usually smoke these days - a very light, smooth, and delicate smoke in comparison to the high-nic-level tabak I have tried blending in to boost the per-bowl nic-level.

The typical outcome so far has been this: The flavor of 1-Q is eventually - furthest I've made it to is the 1/2 bowl consumed level - totally lost and overwhelmed by the flavor of the secondary high-nic-level tabak which is blended in.

The basic problem is this: If I cut down the amount of the secondary tabak which I blend in to a point where it is not eventually bowling the 1-Q over with it's own flavor, then, there is not enough of a nic-level increase realized to bother blending a nic-booster in at all.

I wish I could somehow just sprinkle some flavorless magic nicotine dust onto 1-Q; that would work well for me.

So this is perfect example of how things just get more complicated, and not necessarily better, when you look beyond something as simple and well-crafted as 1-Q to satisfy you.

With that said, I will 2nd the motion: "... recommend that you don’t ever stop smoking it ...".

- Sherm Natman

Grangerous

Lifer
Dec 8, 2020
East Coast USA
I believe a man who chooses to smoke a pipe longs for the simple, quiet pleasures, and the peace it can bring.

Smoking should never be complicated, fretful, and stressful.

The old-timers knew what a pipe was for, and they all used them well. Too many pipe-smokers forget how to enjoy.

I agree wholeheartedly. Our Grandfathers smoked what they liked and enjoyed their pipe ritual. Just load your brand, light, tamp and relax.

Truth is, getting to know a blend delivers the goods.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
I never liked it. But it's popular for a reason. O.k. if it was the only thing available I'd enjoy it. But it's right at that it's o.k. and I am not going to smoke it. If you think that's a snob thing, I like some pretty straightforward simple stuff too. I can certainly see why it's a popular blend though. Which is one of the things I love about this activity. Lots of choices and there probably is a pipe tobacco out there for everyone but no one blend that is for everyone.

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
I bought some early early on. It was one of my first purchases because well, Google told me it was wildly popular. Pretty sure I’m not a snob but the best description I have for the flavor is over-chewed Juicy Fruit gum. I’m sure I’m probably alone in that assessment but hey...

Reactions: Elric

kg.legat0

Lifer
Sep 6, 2019
Southwestern PA
I haven't smoked 1-Q in a while but it was the first bulk I picked up when starting up pipe smoking ...there's a reason they sell a lot of this stuff -it's a really pleasant smoke, behaves well in the pipe, and smells amazing. I think I might have to pick up a few ounces sometime soon.

dcon

Lifer
Mar 16, 2019
Jacksonville, FL
I recently bought a couple of ounces of 1-Q after being on a 35+ year hiatus from the blend. Don’t consider this bashing because I believe it serves a definite purpose. I have returned to many of the codger blends, as well, over the last few years. I thought if I was going to have over 400 blends, I should have all of the “basics. I actually like most of these old blends. I found the I-Q tasty but, I noticed a bit of a ”chemical” aftertaste. It is not, by any means, un-smokeable. I would just generally prefer other vanilla aros. I really like Sutliff 1-M and have cellared pounds of it. As I stated in another thread, quite some time ago, “1-M is what 1-Q wishes it were.”

Status
Not open for further replies.