PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

scottbtdmb

Can't Leave
Apr 14, 2012
OK Brothers,

I am officially coming out of the closet....I am a Lakeland Lover!!! I have come to terms with the fact that I enjoy packing a pipe with Gawith&Hoggarth lakeland blends, firing it up, and pretending that I am walking the streets of Victorian London. There are so many G&H blends out there that I wanted to create a thread for people to discuss the blends they enjoy and perhaps give a brief description for those interested in trying them out. Special thanks to a kind gentleman from another forum for hooking me up with a nice little "Lakeland buffet" this week! Anyhow, here is what I have tried:
G&H Dark Bird's Eye - real nice dark fired tobacco with a little bit of an essence. just a tiny tiny bit floral, but mainly the dark fired tobaccos take center stage and produce cigar like notes
G&H Dark Flake Unscented - Dark Bird's Eye in flake form? I can see some similarities but Dark Flake produces more of a bitter cigar note, almost like a Kinky Friedman cigar. Once again, a very light essence, but nothing that overwhelms the tobacco
G&H Dark Plug - Dark Flake Unscented in plug form? Perhaps, but as alfredobuscatti commented once, the Dark Plug almost appears to have an addition of an Oriental tobacco that compliments that bitter cigar taste that I get from the Flake
G&H Louisiana Flake - Definitely the most unique Va/Per that I have ever tried. The lakeland floral essence is there, a high quality Va is there, a little chocolate topping is there, and if you search real hard, some Perique is there too. I get some really deep, "bass" notes out of this blend that you can't find in any other VaPer. Very pleasant tasting and the pouch aroma is a wonderful baker's chocolate.
G&H Balkan Mixture - Having smoked Balkan Sobranie several times, I can honestly say this blend comes closer to the original than any other. I enjoy Blackhouse, Blue Mountain, Macedonian Mixture, and all the rest of the replica attempts, but there is something about Balkan Mixture that reminds me so much of Sobranie every time I smoke it. It is full bodied, has a bit of nicotine, and even has the tiniest bit of Lakeland essence that disappears after the second light.
G&H Coniston Cut Plug - This blend is what you graduate to after you have become to addicted to the smaller amounts of floral essence in some of G&H's lighter blends. There is a WHOLE lot of floral in here, but for some reason I can't stop smoking the stuff. There is also a sweet taste that must be tonquin and probably several other toppings that all meld together into Lakeland goodness.
G&H Broken Flake No. 7 - I have just started smoking this blend from a sample provided from a member of another forum I frequent. Basically, this one is Coniston Cut Plug's little brother. It has the same tobacco components, but their ratios are reversed so that the overall strength of the mixture is much milder. There is also a honeydew topping that adds a sweet, warm cake batter like taste. I am really loving this one and will probably get a pound before long
Other blends that I will be trying from the sample I received during the next few days include Bosun Cut Plug (just started smoking a bowl now), Glengarry Flake, 1792 from SG, Bob's Chocolate Flake, Kendal Mayor Chocolate Flake from SG, and Curly Cut Deluxe. So how about it guys.....what Lakelands do you like and why?
-Scott

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
What have you tried of the Samuel Gawith Lakelands? I love Full Virginia Flake and Firedance Flake. Grousemoor is decent but sometimes seems one-dimensional. I like the G&H Bob's Chocolate Flake but both the Rum & Maple Twists nearly knocked my head off with the Vitamin-N.
-Jason

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
What have you tried of the Samuel Gawith Lakelands? I love Full Virginia Flake and Firedance Flake. Grousemoor is decent but sometimes seems one-dimensional. I like the G&H Bob's Chocolate Flake but both the Rum & Maple Twists nearly knocked my head off with the Vitamin-N.
-Jason

withnail

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 30, 2011
United Kingdom
I love the tobaccos from both of the "Gawith" brands. Sam Gawith Grousemoor is what I think of when some one mentions "Lake Land". Some would say "soapy" but I think of it as "creamy" and although it isn't something I would smoke everyday, I do love a tin now and then.
My favourite English Blend is their Squadron Leader which has a nice hint of Latakia, rather than over powering the other flavours. I would also really recommend giving their special "Jubilee" blend a try, which has a real Champagne note to it.
As for Gawith Hoggarth, I have recently been smoking a lot of their Sweet Rum Twist, which is the first time I have smoked "rope" tobacco. It does take a little longer to prepare, but for me that is all part of the relaxing pleasure of a pipe routine.

jchaplick

Lifer
May 8, 2011
I enjoy lakeland tobacco very much full virginia flake and dark birdseye are great tasting tobaccos, I have tried several ropes and plugs that are lakelands, but I dont have their names, I dont enjoy the scented tobaccos that do have that soapiness to them, but I enjoy unscented lakeland blends very much.

asteroid1

Might Stick Around
Sep 2, 2011
My top 3 GH (Gawith Hogarth & CO) blends are: Coniston cut plug (best strong flake), brown flake U/S (best medium flake, a good alternative to FVF), and Rum flake (best aromatic) . I also use Dark Birdseye as a way to add some strength to weaker blends.

judcole

Lifer
Sep 14, 2011
Detroit
I am a fan of SG's Best Brown, Balkan Flake, and Squadron Leader. Intend to try some G&H in the next few months.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
I'm wondering if any of the Lakeland aficionados can say what the topping is on Glengarry Flake. I love the stuff -- such a sweet, tangy, biteless VA, but I can't for the life of me figure out what "honey dew" means. I think tobaccoreviews claims that Irish Mist liqueur is part of the topping, which seems plausible to me, but I've never seen a definitive answer.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
For the record, I'm a "Lakeland Lover," too. I used to have a pipe dedicated to Lakeland flakes. Now I have three. In fact, the last new pipe I bought (a Peterson DR lovat) was specifically meant for lakeland tobaccos.
I've tried several blends, from both "Gawiths" and haven't been let down yet.

doctorthoss

Oct 6, 2011
I turned into a Lakeland far a couple of years ago. I especially love the "soapy" blends -- there's something about the flavors that really appeal to me. Ennerdale, Bosun Cut Plug, Kendal Flake, Louisiana Perique Flake and Balkan Mixture are my favorites.

mick

Can't Leave
Aug 13, 2012
what Lakelands do you like and why?
Grousemoor! It has got the best aroma/casing in that the tin note and the smoking flavour are the same, but not overpowering. It's my comfort tobacco when I don't want to mess around.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
Grousemoor! It has got the best aroma/casing in that the tin note and the smoking flavour are the same, but not overpowering. It's my comfort tobacco when I don't want to mess around.
I've heard great things about Grousemoor. It's def on my list to purchase next.
Lakeland lovers should also try mixing their favorite brown flake (FVF, Best Brown, Brown Flake Unscented, etc.) with their favorite English latakia blend. For example, I like to mix GH Best Brown flake with just a pinch or two of Dunhill 965. Full VA Flake with a touch of Margate is also a great blend. The result is usually a really rich, sturdy VA base with just enough latakia and oriental flavors going on to mix things up a bit. I know that sometimes I really want to have a taste of latakia and orientals, but at the same time I also want the satisfying richness (and nicotine) of the stronger flake. Combining the two is a great way to kill two birds with one stone. Try it!

msandoval858

Jun 11, 2012
Austin, TX
Gawith Lakeland Dark! If you like that floral essence character that Lakeland is known for, that blend will definitely give you what you seek.

pitchfork

Lifer
May 25, 2012
"Lakeland Dark" -- I hadn't been aware of that one (only available in bulk?), but sounds great. Sounds kind of like 1792 F mixed with Kendal Flake or Ennerdale.

lawmax3

Can't Leave
Jan 18, 2013
I really like Kendal Flake. It seems to be a little more in the tolerable range when it comes to the floral taste and has a very smooth flavor otherwise. It is also the only tobacco that has totally "nicotine blasted me". I smoked it once for about 30 minutes (pretty fast) then started sweating like a marathon runner. Never chugged but had to lay in the floor for a while. Never had any problem smoking it afterward.

hugodrax

Can't Leave
Jan 24, 2013
Rb plug was my all time favorite tobacco. Sniff. Like and smoke other Lakeland blends, but I miss the snark out of RB plug!

Status
Not open for further replies.