PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

jaytex1969

Lifer
Jun 6, 2017
Here
We had a nice, independent shop in Austin for most of my time there. When I saw the "business for sale" sign go up, it was just another plank in my decision to relocate. Fat man need donut!

I can usually bypass them all, though the occasional Bavarian cream breaks through my defenses.

My other guilty pleasure in the donut department was the apple fritters that 7-11 carries.

When I was working from a vehicle, that $1.50 fritter/coffee combo was hard to pass up on a busy morning.

1658291921598.png

Reactions: scloyd

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
I am in the anti-Krispy Kreme group. We have a pretty large mom & pop makers of donuts. To me they are so much better than KK and they come in all shapes, sizes and fillings.

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
A Hot Krispy Kreme fresh from the oven is hard for me to resist. Its like donut crack.
Same here. We have a family owned shop near here that has been in business for 50 years, and is beloved by everyone but me it seems. Krispy Kreme is still the gold standard, I could inhale half a dozen easily.

But, a Taurus donut just doesn't seem appealing. We owned a 1989 wagon.

1658314751978.png

Jan 27, 2020
I'm a fan of these myself.

View attachment 157924

While I personally can't stand KK doughnuts, I'm happy that you've found something you like there OP!

Honestly, although I have eaten my fair share of Krispy Kreme donuts in my life, I am not exactly fond of them but compared to DD they are vastly superior. But, I did find their innovation in regards to filling a torus shaped donut with cream to be a welcome advancement in the donut world. While I do like a donut from time to time to time to time from time to time to time I generally avoid them as they give me the bloat. I would say my favorite donut is a well made apple cider donut and the farmer's market near me on Saturdays sells them. Many places claim to sell apple cider donuts but I am often left wondering "where's the cider?"

scloyd

Lifer
May 23, 2018
My favorite donuts are plain cake donuts, no glaze, no frosting, no sprinkles etc.
I've had KK donuts a couple of times. They're okay. I'm not going out of my way for one.

We have a family owned bakery/sandwich shop here in town that bakes their donuts and they're horrible. They have a weird texture and taste. They do make great bread and brownies though.

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Krispy Kreme is the epitome of the mass produced soulless product extruded from a machine's anus. There is no deviation, no character, and, they are weirdly shaped for a doughnut.

Their popularity is another vindication of H L Menken's observation, "No one in this world, so far as I know ... has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people."

The well made product of independents is far superior to anything associated with Krispy Kreem.

Jan 27, 2020
Krispy Kreme is the epitome of the mass produced soulless product extruded from a machine's anus. There is no deviation, no character, and, they are weirdly shaped for a doughnut.

Their popularity is another vindication of H L Menken's observation, "No one in this world, so far as I know ... has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people."

The well made product of independents is far superior to anything associated with Krispy Kreem.

Thank you for your opinion. It was fascinating to read and well worded!