PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

Raisedbands

Lurker
Jan 8, 2022
New York
a couple things are happening here and all of them are not good if they happen chronically. All of those things boil down to irritation. It could be chemical, allergic, or like eating too hot pizza and the temp singeing the roof of your mouth. The 4-5 days part is concerning. The mouth heals quickly. I'd be concerned if it was happening regularly, because any of those things repeated over and over can lead to bad things (they're not that bad but it happening often enough will lead to bad). I bet it's just from the tobacco being too moist. First thing I assume you've smoked through it, if you did stop that till it's healed. If not good. If a particular blend does that to you don't smoke it. And if you really like the blend smoke it in a smaller pipe or less filled one. Really make sure you dry it out a bit and sip on it. If you do those three things and it still bothers you then it's something about the blend. If it's fine it's because it's too moist and burnt you. Really moist tobacco is the one thing that bothers my mouth and tongue. Not to that degree and it's got to be it oozes when pinched moist.
So honestly not serious but could turn serious. Irritation is damage the body is good at repairing damaging but chronic damage eventually can't be repaired correctly and can lead to serious issues.
Thank you for this helpful and insightful reply, it’s helped. For the rest of the brothers, in addition to the good info on the thread, please know that I hit the good doctor today; he said that the was 101% benign, just a burn that is moving towards being healed. (Some rare Good news!) Now, I will make sure to dry the stuff again, before smoking and take it a little more easy.
Dave

Reactions: LeafErikson

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Thank you for this helpful and insightful reply, it’s helped. For the rest of the brothers, in addition to the good info on the thread, please know that I hit the good doctor today; he said that the was 101% benign, just a burn that is moving towards being healed. (Some rare Good news!) Now, I will make sure to dry the stuff again, before smoking and take it a little more easy.
Dave
thought that was the most likely thing. And while I agree 101% benign if you regularly burn your mouth like that it can lead to bad things after many many years. But more then that it just sucks.

ADKPiper

Part of the Furniture Now
Dec 13, 2020
Adirondack Mountains
I used to try to smoke until it just wouldn't take a relight. Now it depends on what I'm smoking. I smoke till I'm sick of it. Generally 80-100%. Some blends start great and end a bit harsh.