PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

MikeDub

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 26, 2022
SoCal
I don’t quit a tobacco bowl or anything else for that matter. Can’t even count the amount of free concert tickets I’ve won from radio contests because I simply refused to get off the phone

Sethology12

Might Stick Around
Jan 27, 2023
Richmond, Va
I finish it. But as it gets down to the bottom of the bowl I become extra attentive and make sure the pipe isn't getting too hot. If it is, I give it a break, and then finish the dottle later. I simply cannot bring myself to quit the dottle chasing lifestyle 😆

jndyer

Lifer
Jul 1, 2012
Central Oregon
I also use to try to smoke it all to ash. Now days, however, I typically dump it out if, like DidiMauw, I have to relight more than once. I am getting enough experience that, I more often that not, can tell it is time to dump by the way the pipe lights on a relight.

Reactions: Doctor Chopper

JRW11b

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 18, 2023
This was an issue for me as a noob back in the day. I would push it for too long and get tounge bite chasing the 'down to a fine white ash' experience. Not any longer, I learned my lesson.
This is has been my experience so far as a new pipe smoker. Good to know that I need to learn to just let it go. Most of the dreaded tongue bite that I've experienced is usually at this point in my smoke. Good advice.

fightnhampster

Part of the Furniture Now
Aug 14, 2019
Indiana
This is has been my experience so far as a new pipe smoker. Good to know that I need to learn to just let it go. Most of the dreaded tongue bite that I've experienced is usually at this point in my smoke. Good advice.
It's still hard sometimes. I think, "It's been such a good bowl, one more light won't hurt." Often it does. 🤣

Regarding relights, I relight alot. Typically 10 to 15 times a bowl. I keep Diamond Kitchen Match Co. In business.

I don't puff too much and usually keep it in the edge of going out. For me the tobacco has a better flavor when it is cooler.

sparker69

Part of the Furniture Now
Feb 25, 2022
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
This is no time to listen to your inner thrifty parent and keep relighting a bowl of ashes.
Yes - I admit I have been the thrifty parent, to only end up getting a mouthful of ash. Great posting. Still consider myself a newbie, so it's really appreciated to hear this from some more seasoned smokers.

Reactions: JRW11b

AroEnglish

Lifer
Jan 7, 2020
Midwest
It's still hard sometimes. I think, "It's been such a good bowl, one more light won't hurt." Often it does. 🤣
Yes! I think I am finally learning this lesson after too many years of ashy taste to end my smoke. I think what makes it hard is that you want to savor that last bit like the last bite of food. Unfortunately for pipes it’s like saving the grizzled part of a steak.

Raisedbands

Lurker
Jan 8, 2022
New York
Question about the scope and sequence of toungebite. Over 25 years I’ve had it and know what it is, particularly when it is in “pinpointed” spots on the tip or side of tongue. But can it affect larger areas of the mouth? Right now I have what seems to be a 1 inch by two inch affected area on the hard palate/roof of my mouth. It suspiciously is on the side that I most often smoke the pipe; noticed it the day after smoking some pretty moist (KU Zulu) tobacco down to ash (out of a size 1 Dunhill pot pipe/w/ fishtail MP.) It acts like a burn in that it seems to be weeping a bit of secretion now and then (like saliva) and is hard to see, as it is reddish like the rest of the skin. There is a bit of deja vu y with it…I feel like I’ve had similar things in the past, but couldn’t believe that I somehow nonchalantly did this to myself smoking on Saturday or Sunday, puzzled by how I didn’t notice it the instant it happened. So I ask…does this ring bells with any of you out there? 1) Top of mouth/rather large painful sore area? 2) secreting-(slightly)? 3) Somehow didn’t notice it until later or even the next morning? 4)Still hurts after 4-5 days?
Or might this be a more “sinister symptom?” Thanks in advance for any thoughts or corroboration.

anotherbob

Lifer
Mar 30, 2019
In the semi-rural NorthEastern USA
Question about the scope and sequence of toungebite. Over 25 years I’ve had it and know what it is, particularly when it is in “pinpointed” spots on the tip or side of tongue. But can it affect larger areas of the mouth? Right now I have what seems to be a 1 inch by two inch affected area on the hard palate/roof of my mouth. It suspiciously is on the side that I most often smoke the pipe; noticed it the day after smoking some pretty moist (KU Zulu) tobacco down to ash (out of a size 1 Dunhill pot pipe/w/ fishtail MP.) It acts like a burn in that it seems to be weeping a bit of secretion now and then (like saliva) and is hard to see, as it is reddish like the rest of the skin. There is a bit of deja vu y with it…I feel like I’ve had similar things in the past, but couldn’t believe that I somehow nonchalantly did this to myself smoking on Saturday or Sunday, puzzled by how I didn’t notice it the instant it happened. So I ask…does this ring bells with any of you out there? 1) Top of mouth/rather large painful sore area? 2) secreting-(slightly)? 3) Somehow didn’t notice it until later or even the next morning? 4)Still hurts after 4-5 days?
Or might this be a more “sinister symptom?” Thanks in advance for any thoughts or corroboration.
a couple things are happening here and all of them are not good if they happen chronically. All of those things boil down to irritation. It could be chemical, allergic, or like eating too hot pizza and the temp singeing the roof of your mouth. The 4-5 days part is concerning. The mouth heals quickly. I'd be concerned if it was happening regularly, because any of those things repeated over and over can lead to bad things (they're not that bad but it happening often enough will lead to bad). I bet it's just from the tobacco being too moist. First thing I assume you've smoked through it, if you did stop that till it's healed. If not good. If a particular blend does that to you don't smoke it. And if you really like the blend smoke it in a smaller pipe or less filled one. Really make sure you dry it out a bit and sip on it. If you do those three things and it still bothers you then it's something about the blend. If it's fine it's because it's too moist and burnt you. Really moist tobacco is the one thing that bothers my mouth and tongue. Not to that degree and it's got to be it oozes when pinched moist.
So honestly not serious but could turn serious. Irritation is damage the body is good at repairing damaging but chronic damage eventually can't be repaired correctly and can lead to serious issues.