PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Gabby Hayes

Lurker
Jun 6, 2021
So. Cal.
Maybe you should check with your dentist or doctor. That doesn't sound like a pipe caused problem to me. Usually, if the pipe smoker has a problem it's with tongue bite or irritation in the roof of the mouth. puffy
Just a follow up, not that you care lol, but it did turn out to be a tooth issue after all and not smoking related. Woo hoo!

warren

Lifer
Sep 13, 2013
Foothills of the Chugach Range, AK
I'm the only one I know of from my wee group of friends from college, where we all started pipes, still smoking. A pal from the Department started the pipe and quit with a couple of months. I quit for a year to allow my heart to heal. The customer base at the local B&M changed over time with some quitting, others turning to other nicotine delivery methods. My own observations tell me very few new pipe smokers stay with it, they quit.

Reactions: gamzultovah

timt

Lifer
Jul 19, 2018
I sold 3 pounds on here a couple days ago. Maybe I've begun to quit....

Peterson314

Can't Leave
Sep 13, 2019
My smoking buddy moved to a different state. I got busy with other things and just kinda forgot that I liked a pipe. I took a 3- or 4-year-long break. Then sometime about 5 years ago, I developed terrible insomnia and was routinely awake at 3:00, 4:00 AM. I'd sit outside to watch the wildlife at night, and one day it just dawned on me that this would be a perfect time for my pipe. I dug around in my closet and found my Peterson and a jar of Haunted Bookshop, and here I am.

I've stopped for years at a time, and I usually stop during the winter. I find it relatively easy to pop in and out.

LeafErikson

Lifer
Dec 7, 2021
Oregon
I just spoke to a guy at a music shop that quit because his dentist said he had precancerous stuff in his mouth. He smoked from age 14-31 and pipes for 5 years or so.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
This is an oft-recited history, but I'll repeat it for this thread. My dad smoked from age 15 until 65 when he quit cold turkey. He smoked his one pipe, only buying a new one when it burned out or was about to. He smoked only Granger from the foil pouch.

He smoked all day from after breakfast to bedtime with time out for meals. He had a few years when he shifted to King Edward cigars, then back to his pipes.

He quit cold turkey when he took a second-career job at age 65 on a non-smoking campus and worked long enough there to have a vested pension.

He departed life at age 89, well into his 90th year, licensed to drive without glasses.

Also, he smoked his pipe as a Naval officer during WWII when he skippered YMS minesweepers on both coasts of the U.S. and in the Philippines during the operations for control of those islands.