PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

pipetrucker

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
When I am out in many taverns these days it is very common for the music to be other than what I like to hear. A lot of Hip-Hop and other "dance club" type music seems to be everywhere these days.
Whenever the music is less than desirable, I will usually pull out my iPod or iPad. On the iPod I have hours and hours of stuff I prefer to hear, and the iPad has many hours of music videos that I enjoy. I call it auditory self defense.
Up to now I have been using a pair of Sony ear buds. They have excellent sound and do a great job of blocking out the unwanted noise, but I have never found ear buds to be especially comfortable. Today I was browsing in Best Buy with the idea of picking up a decent pair of headphones.
After examining and listening to several different brands and models, plugging several of the display ones into my own iPod and listening to some Pink Floyd, I settled on the Klipsch Image One.
These are comfortable, light weight, and have fantastic sound and frequency response. They also do a great job of blocking out the ambient noise without that ear plug feeling from ear buds. They even come with a nice case to help protect them while traveling.
For anyone who might be thinking about picking up some really good headphones in the under $150 range I highly recommend checking these out.

marmal4de

Lifer
Feb 20, 2011
Richmond, BC
I am a Klipsch devotee, I have Klipsch Image One headphones as well as a set of vintage Heresey II speakers that beat the crap out of everything else I've ever owned, they are amazing. Good get Mason!

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
About a month ago, me and my smartphone went and tested all the headphones at Best Buy. This is what I ended up with. South of the Bose noise cancelling headphones, they gave the best sound without distorting the bass. I don't remember seeing any Klipsch.

pipetrucker

Part of the Furniture Now
Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
Thanks, folks.
Cyndi, I was very tempted to get the Aviator, but the Klipsch had a bit better frequency response, especially on the lower end. The Aviators are great looking and do sound good.

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
Cool, I'll have to search them out next time I submit myself to a Best Buy. Being a female in a BB has got to be one of the circles of hell. I listen to a lot of industrial techno so I needed bass quality most. I've been very impressed with them but I tend to listen to these speakers.

mukihr

Might Stick Around
Jun 27, 2011
great info - thank you... i am in audio for about 15+ years... mostly with tube audio gear :) Klipsch is very respectable company :) thank you for info... :)

ck12

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jul 22, 2011
I have me a pair of Klipsch ear buds and i love them. Its amazing how great the sound quality and range is in them and like you said are very good at canceling out noise around you. I love them.

lordnoble

Lifer
Jul 13, 2010
I use Sennheiser PXC 250 II's for work and they are great for shooting in the field, but I'm intrigued by the Klipsch Image S5i earbuds as my back-up set. If the quality of sound is as good as you say the Image Ones have, I'll have to try them out. I know Klipsch make great speakers, but I've always gone Sennheiser for shotgun mics and headphones... Thanks for the info!
-Jason

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
My go-to small headphones(although they are not earbuds) have always been Koss Porta-Pro which are usually around 45.00 new and have a folding headband. They also make ones that have a clip that fit over your ear, which are even more portable...same exact drivers used in both models. The primary feature of these headphones is the sound quality. I'm a member of the largest headphone forum, and recently attended a headphone convention, so it's one of my hobbies to go around and audition every headphone/earbud out there. The Koss's overall sound quality cannot be matched in the under 100.00 price range. The shining aspect of these are the bass response. Everyone I recommend these to(and buy), always respond back with how well the bottom end is represented, without being boomy and bloated, thus destroying the midrange. They are also very comfortable to wear. Find a place to demo them.

This is a picture of the headband models which shows how you can easily pop off each one of the earpads and then install inside a helmet.

P1010169.jpg

Here are the SportClip models and they sell for 19.95

KSC75_1KossPortaClip.jpg

dburrows

Starting to Get Obsessed
Sep 2, 2011
Klipsch seem to be a highly reputable company to deal with. My father's enjoyed them for years and the couple of times anythings gone wrong with them, they've had replacement equipment sent to him right away. Don't get that much these days unless you pay the store to do it for you.

hobie1dog

Lifer
Jun 5, 2010
Cornelius, NC
Lawrence...Stax?? :crazy: :worship: :worship: :worship: so you are a closet audiophile..hummm
what other equipment do you have that you're holding out on telling us about?

pstlpkr

Lifer
Dec 14, 2009
Birmingham, AL
The best thing I have is a my Sony PSX-75 Biotracer turntable and a Dynavector DVB-20 type 2, four channel cartridge with a beryllium cantilever. Can't find an image of it. But, here's one of I found the turn table.

I also have about 8 feet of vinyl most of which are half speed masters.
Sony%20PSX75%20NEU%20Gallerie%20207.jpg

I used to have a Nakamichi System One in between the headphones and the cartridge, sold it for a car.

Now I just use an old Sansui SE-7 pre-amp/equalizer to drive the headphones.

May 3, 2010
Las Vegas, NV
I just use the iPod given earbuds lol. I do have some cheap Sony studio headphones that I got mostly to play my guitar and not annoy the Mrs. If I got serious about headphones though I'd need a very versatile set, because I have a huge range of genres that I like. From hip-hop and r&b to country and metal.

Status
Not open for further replies.