PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

newsmoke

Lurker
Oct 5, 2013
Hello everyone and Happy New Year! Have any of you guys ever heard of the “Kleenest" pipe brand? I'm thinking of purchasing one and just wondering if it's worth my time (I've never heard of them). Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

oldredbeard

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 20, 2012
I have one that will use a 6mm filter. I smoke it without the filter, and it smokes good. However I do have the one.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
The Kleenest brand was made in N. Carolina if I remember correctly. A lot of their pipes are made of Mt. Laurel,some are briar. They went out of business in the 60's I think.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
I live in N.C. and have never encountered nor known about Kleenest pipes. However, a N.C.

pipe carver, Jerry Perry in Colfax, N.C., has used Mountain Laurel instead of briar for a number

of his pipes, although he also does briar pipes. I bought a large poker/pot/sitter from him

in 2002, and several years later a bent ball, both made of Mountain Laurel, and they are both

good smokers. Now, I'll keep an eye out for a Kleenest, at least to see one "in person," if not

acquire one. My two briar pipes from J. Perry are also excellent.

newsmoke

Lurker
Oct 5, 2013
Cool. Thanks for the input, guys! By the way, mso489...does Mr. Perry in Colfax have a website? Thanks again!

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
newsmoke, Jerry Perry has a limited website, mostly a home page outlining his services as

a pipe repairman. His pipe sales are mostly conducted at the N.C. State Fair in October and

the local TAPS (Triangle Area Pipe Show) at the Fairgrounds in April. His business card seems

to have gotten shuffled under in my study, but you can easily Google Jerry Perry pipe repairman.

I should say, Mr. Perry doesn't respond to emails, or at least not mine. I think he takes a low

key approach to his pipe business. In person, he's a cheerful, easygoing guy, with a twinkle

in his eye. When I asked him if he did any pipe sales online, he said, if he did that he'd spend

all his time taking pictures. He and his wife are the entire business, so they keep it relaxed.

However, he's one of the pillars of the Village of Yesteryear major exhibit at the state fair, one

of the exhibit elders, and in that community, he's a major figure. So he's something of a quiet

force. I think his work should be on exhibit at the arts and crafts center in the Western part of

the state, but I feel it might be an affront to mention it to him or to promote the cause. I'm a

fan, but too distant to be a friend.

ejames

Lifer
Oct 6, 2009
I remembered incorrectly! According to Pipedia the Kleenest pipes were made in New Jersey by the National Briar Pipe Co. I'm sure though that many Kleenest pipes were made of Mt. Laurel.

http://pipedia.org/wiki/National_Briar_Pipe_Co.

Status
Not open for further replies.