PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

mitch11

Lurker
Nov 18, 2018
So ive decided to splurge on a nice lighter and trying to decide between these two brands. Does anyone here own both and can say which they prefer? The difference in price doesn’t concern me if the IM Corona truly is better finished or performs better.

ashdigger

Lifer
Jul 30, 2016
Vegas Baby!!!
I love my IM Corona Pipemaster. The finish was really nice, but it lives in my pants pocket with my keys, so its scratched to all hell, but its a wonderful lighter.
I'd buy another in a heartbeat if needed.

May 8, 2017
Sugar Grove, IL, USA
Got 'em both. Virtually identical in quality, but after only six months, I did have to send in my Kiribi after the screw popped out of the arm which snuffs out the flame. Laudisi took good care of me and sent it back in good shape. It's a fairly common issue, from what I gather.
Oddly, if asked which I'd recommend, I'd say the IM Corona, but it's the Kiribi that I carry in my pipe bag. Go figure. Really, it's a toss-up. Buy the one with the features and appearance you prefer.

jttnk

Lifer
Dec 22, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
I have had my Kiribi Takara for a few months. Great lighter. Good feel, and I mean come on it’s got a giant squid wrapped around it, what’s not to love! From all I have read, which was a lot before buying, you can’t go wrong either way. Good luck and enjoy.

jpmcwjr

Staff member
May 12, 2015
Carmel Valley, CA
I have both. Slight nod to the Old Boy- mine has a briar covering. But the Kiribis are generally less expensive.
Pretty sure I am in minority, but I avoid angled flames.

kcghost

Lifer
May 6, 2011
Olathe, Kansas
With the Kiribi being significantly lower in price I can understand why people like it but I prefer the Corona by a slight margin.

pipeanddrum

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 5, 2016
I own 2 Old Boys and one Kiribi Kabuto. In my opinion, the Old Boys are a bit more refined in their presentation with a fit and finish of a slightly higher quality than the Kabuto. That being said, the Kabuto is very reliable and feels a tad more sturdy in hand than the Old Boys which have more of a delicate feel to them. They've all worked great for me so far and have been very reliable. In a breeze I prefer the Kabuto as it as dual jets.

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
Here are my two reviews:

http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-lighters-accessories/from-sparks-of-good-will-to-the-warmth-of-a-perfect-light/

http://pipesmagazine.com/blog/pipe-lighters-accessories/vintage-styling-and-quality-continued-the-im-corona-old-boy/
I also have a 4th Gen lighter which is very similar to both that is utter garbage. The IM corona is heavier.... but both lighters after a year of use have lighting difficulties even after cleaning. I'm also on my 3rd replacement Kiribi with the problem they had with the lift arm screws coming lose (which wasn't fixable on my end). I'm

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
I like the look of the Kiribi, but is this the type of lighter or the brand name?
I searched amazon UK for 'Kiribi lighter' and it turned up absolutely zilch, nada. Well, that's not quite true. There were four items; two ashtrays and two fishing hooks.
So, two questions: how else are these lighters known, and can you get cheap knock-offs like you can with the Zippo?

mikefu

Lifer
Mar 28, 2018
Green Bay
I’ve never had a Corona, But I’ve been very happy with my Kiribi Kabuto for the last year. Here’s a link: http://www.kiribi-lighters.com

olkofri

Lifer
Sep 9, 2017
The Arm of Orion
Kiribi is the brand. The type of lighter is known as an Old Boy lighter. Other brands manufacture this kind: IM Corona and Peterson to name just two.

Dec 24, 2012
My IM Corona old boy is still going strong after 7 years use. I also bought a Kiribi awhile back but it only lasted 3 months before the arm popped off and the tiny, tiny screw went awol. That will be my last Kiribi.

judcasper

Can't Leave
Jan 9, 2019
Kiribi is the brand. The type of lighter is known as an Old Boy lighter. Other brands manufacture this kind: IM Corona and Peterson to name just two.
Thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.