PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Drucquers Banner

swilford

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2010
Longs, SC
corporate.laudisi.com
Thanks for the clarification Sykes! Totally useful info.

Any chance you'd be willing to confirm or refute my conjecture that the Kiribi and Peterson's share a good amount of DNA?

Oh, sure. Yes they do. Peterson and Kiribi lighters are both made by the same Japanese manufacturer and share basic construction.

Sykes

captpat

Lifer
Dec 16, 2014
North Carolina
I have both, the Old Boy seems more substantial in the hand, I ordered a Kiribi with a leather sleeve around the outside and I'm not too fond of that, or the extended lever thingy. The Kiribi sits around looking for something to do; the butane has probably leaked out of it by now. I also had an excellent service experience at Arango when I sent a '80s vintage Pipemaster in for repair.

A bit off-topic, I now rely on Bic EZ Reach when I reach for a butane lighter. I don't worry about dropping it, requires no refills and it easily reaches into the bottom of any pipe I own without scorching the rim or my fingers. Readily available at Amazon, Wally World and other fine retailers.

Reactions: macaroni

pylorns

Lifer
Aug 20, 2013
Austin, Texas
www.thepipetool.com
I have the Rattrays Grand and like it a lot. Lights consistently. Looks nice. Seems to be refilled a bit more often than my Corona but not bad. I like snapping the lid shut and I like the huge striker wheel. It does not “ping” when you flip the lid open like the DuPont. I think you have to spend $1000 more to get a lighter that pings🤣. I have not regretted getting myself one. However if someone was debating between the Rattray and the Old Boy I’d recommend the Old Boy.
Im a bit over a month of solid use on mine, still going strong.

Reactions: Sir Yak

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I have two Kiribis, one was replaced under warranty, gas leaking due to a manufacturing issue.

After a couple years they’ve quit working. Gas valve issues. I suppose you could look at it as it only cost $ .15 a day, to have an Old Boy knockoff for a couple years, until it craps out.

hall222

Starting to Get Obsessed
Mar 8, 2023
Thank you for the write up. I have neither at this point but sounds like the OB is the one to get.

Reactions: jpmcwjr