PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Butter Side Down

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2023
Chicago
There have been a few threads on this here, but I haven't seen a direct comparison thread yet. I have an Old Boy that I've had for about 10-12 years and a Kiribi Kabuto that I just bought a couple of weeks ago, so I thought I'd create a post with a technical comparison for anyone who might be might find the information useful.

So, lets get this out of the way right up front. Do you need either of them? Absolutely not. Matches work fine. A bic works fine. Heck, a twig on fire works fine. So, if you only buy things that you 100% need, it's safe to stop reading now.

But if you like having and using quality built things, or if it seems logical to you to spend a lot of money once on something that will (hopefully) last you 10+ years instead of spending a little money every three months replacing something inexpensive and disposable, perhaps this info will help you decide between the Kiribi and the Corona.

So, moving right along, here are the specs for each:

Kiribi Kabuto
Height: 66.42 mm / 2.65 in
Width: 30.55 mm / 1.02 in
Depth: 12.5 mm / .491 in
Weight (filled): 70 g / 2.47 oz
Price: $84 - $112

IM Corona Old Boy
Height: 65.5 mm / 2.575 in
Width: 28.55 mm / 1.116 in
Depth: 10.6 mm / .433 in
Weight (filled): 80 g / 2.82 oz
Price: $115 - $165

Comparing them side by side, the Kabuto is a tiny bit taller, a little bit wider, and a little bit thicker.

Yet strangely, in the hand, it is quite noticeable that despite being smaller in every dimension, the Old Boy is still nearly 15% heavier. Since both lighters are made primarily of metal and both have welded brass tanks, the only logical conclusion I can come to is that the Old Boy uses slightly thicker metal for every part. This is supported by the fact that pretty much everything about the Old Boy feels more rugged and solid than the Kiribi when you handle it and use it. That's not to say that the Kiribi feels flimsy. It's certainly a nice piece of kit. Just that it doesn't feel as solid.

As far as aesthetics, I'd say it's a dead heat. Visually, there's not much to distinguish between them. Probably because the Kabuto is so clearly a copy of the Old Boy design.

In the Kiribi's favor, while it undeniably takes all of it's design cues directly from the Old Boy, it does boast some changes that, in my opinion, are improvements. First and most importantly, it gets rid of the totally useless tamper that's built into the base of the Old Boy. In doing so, they Kiribi has increased the tank capacity. I couldn't say by how much, but it seems like it should be a good bit. Second, there's a sort of wing thingy on the Kabuto that makes flipping up the cap super easy and lighting fast. It only took me a little time to master flipping it up with my index finger and twisting the strike wheel with my thumb at the same time. That said, I have never really experienced any problems flipping up the cap of my old boy. Nor have I ever felt that my pipe experience was going to be ruined if I didn't shave 0.5 seconds off the amount of time it takes me to light my lighter.

One intended improvement that seems like it might be a wash with the Kiribi is that they tried something different with the flip up cap hinge, probably because the hinge has historically been one of the main weak points on the Old Boy. To hold the cap in place, IM Corona uses a metal flange that is prone to breakage over time. Kiribi is using some sort of space age polymer that they claim is 20 times stronger than steel or something like that. Which would be great if it was true, but I have already seen people complaining that the polymer broke or melted. So we'll call it a tie here, with neither one really doing spectacular here.

Obviously, long term reliability is something I can't address for the Kiribi yet, having only owned it for only a little while. For the Old Boy, I'm at 10 years and it has been reliable... for the most part. I did have to send it in for repairs once. It developed a leak somewhere and all the fluid would drain out overnight. I sent the lighter with a check for $35 to Arango and they fixed it. It took about a month, which seemed like a long time, but when I got it back, it was basically like brand new. They not only fixed the issue but even replaced several parts that weren't really a problem, but were getting kind of worn (the hinge cap stop flange, and the entire flint assembly).

I'll add here that both lighters seem kind of finicky with regards to butane. Both work best with high quality butane, so it's probably a good idea to figure that into the long term cost when you're making your decision.

In terms of flints and sparking, the Corona is pretty finicky about this as well. It only really seems to perform at it's peak with Corona flints which are much harder than the cheaper Zippo alternative. But when you do use the Corona flints, it lights on the first try pretty much every time. I haven't had to replace the flint in the Kabuto yet, but I did pull it out an it seems pretty soft so you could likely get away with using the Zippo flints in it. At any rate, it does not spark and ignite quite as reliably as the Old Boy. I think this is primarily due to the placement of the butane jet. The Old Boy places the jet so the striker throws the majority of the sparks directly at the jet nozzle. The Kabuto places the jet so that the striker throws majority of the sparks behind the jet nozzle. It still lights fine, but sometimes it will take two or three times and I think this is why.

That's pretty much it for the comparison except for one final thing. When I bought the Kiribi, they also had Peterson lighters in stock. After comparing those two I would bet a substantial amount that either Kiribi makes the Peterson lighters, or that they are made in the same factory in China. Aside from lacking the flip cap wing thingy and a different stamp on the base, every other part on the Peterson is absolutely identical to the Kabuto. Right down to the polymer hinge. So, while I can't prove this in a court of law, I think it is safe to believe that whatever is said about the Kiribi will also be true of the Peterson.

Kabuto final analysis.
Pros: Less expensive than the Old Boy; Increased tank capacity; Flip top wing thingy (debatable); Feels better than the cheapo options and also better than it's mid-range competitors (Xicar, Comoy, etc...).
Cons: Doesn't feel as solid as the Old Boy. Not on the market as long as some others, so reliability is an unknown. Parts and Kiribi branded flints aren't as easy to find.

Old Boy final analysis.
Pros: Solid construction; Long company history; Easy to find parts; If you break it, they'll repair it; Feels like a lighter I'll probably own for the rest of my life.
Cons: Cost. Cost. And cost. Also, the repairs cost.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Interesting what are pros and cons for different folks. I can only compare Old Boy vs. Peterson so if Peterson is basically the same as the Kiribi . . .

Old Boy feels more "substantial" and personally I like the feel better, but practically speaking I don't really think about it when I pick up one or the other to use.

The Peterson absolutely doesn't send the majority of it's spark behind the nozzle, it's less forward than the Old Boy - adjacent but still forward of the nozzle and it lights just as reliably for me.

I like the tamper in the Old Boy and don't find it useless, especially when it is time to refill - don't know enough about the "guts" to address capacity, I just fill 'em when they run out.

Haven't noticed any issues with Zippo flints, when I think there is one it's always been related to how clean the lighter is, so I swab off the carbon. I may have to find some Corona flints and experiment. I do use high quality butane.

Since I'm usually outside (not so much now) I usually grab a Zippo, otherwise whatever is handy including the Old Boy, a Peterson, matches, Beattie.

Oct 3, 2021
Southeastern PA
Perfect, thanks for this Butter, I've been looking into getting a nice lighter at some point. Quick question though, the repair cost for the Old Boy, have you had to send it in for repairs? Just curious as to what that cost might be opposed to just buying a new one.

Reactions: yanoJL

yanoJL

Lifer
Oct 21, 2022
Pismo Beach, California
Perfect, thanks for this Butter, I've been looking into getting a nice lighter at some point. Quick question though, the repair cost for the Old Boy, have you had to send it in for repairs? Just curious as to what that cost might be opposed to just buying a new one.
Not the OP but he did write that he sent it to Arango with a check for $35 and it came back a month later in (almost) new condition.

"I sent the lighter with a check for $35 to Arango and they fixed it. It took about a month, which seemed like a long time, but when I got it back, it was basically like brand new. They not only fixed the issue but even replaced several parts that weren't really a problem, but were getting kind of worn."

Reactions: Butter Side Down
Oct 3, 2021
Southeastern PA
Not the OP but he did write that he sent it to Arango with a check for $35 and it came back a month later in (almost) new condition.

"I sent the lighter with a check for $35 to Arango and they fixed it. It took about a month, which seemed like a long time, but when I got it back, it was basically like brand new. They not only fixed the issue but even replaced several parts that weren't really a problem, but were getting kind of worn."
Ha, I completely missed that. Thanks.

That's what I get for quick skimming it during work, lol.

Reactions: yanoJL

brooklynpipeclub

Can't Leave
Sep 6, 2019
Brooklyn, NYC
www.instagram.com
I agree with the OP's very thorough assessment of both lighters and want to add that I find my Kabuto edges out my Old Boys just a bit when using in a slight breeze as I believe it uses dual jets as opposed to the single one in the Old Boys. That said, I find the fit and finish of the Old Boy noticeably better than the Kabuto, evidence that they are built to higher degrees of tolerance.

Butter Side Down

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2023
Chicago
Yeah, like yanoJL said. Had it repaired once. $35 (which FWIW included both the repairs and the return shipping). If you can find one used, it may be worth it depending on how much you save.

For me, they were cheaper when I bought mine. I paid $120. Plus the $35 for repairs. Total cost to me $155. Had it for 12 years, so 144 months, which means my investment is basically $1.07 per month (plus butane and flints).

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I had 2 Kiribi and presently own 4 IM Corona. Both Kiribi lasted less than 2 years. Junk IMHO. Two of the IM Corona are 5 years old and older. For a small cost differential, IM Corona provides a long lasting better performing product. There’s no decision to be made between the two.

Butter Side Down

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2023
Chicago
Both Kiribi lasted less than 2 years.
That's sad to hear.

2 years seems to be about my average for the ones with the piezo igniter and the plastic tank (even when they hide it behind a metal exterior). I had higher hopes for the kiribi because of the brass tank and the replaceable flints.

bluegrassbrian

Your Mom's Favorite Pipe Smoker
Aug 27, 2016
Louisville
My experience with a Kiribi Kabuto is discussed in past threads.
When it's working, it's as good as a Corona.
Unfortunately mine spent a lot of time in non-working order. After the second "send in for repairs", it took up residence in a junk drawer.
Eventually I traded it for a tin of FVF.

Reactions: AroEnglish

swilford

Starting to Get Obsessed
May 30, 2010
Longs, SC
corporate.laudisi.com
Yet strangely, in the hand, it is quite noticeable that despite being smaller in every dimension, the Old Boy is still nearly 15% heavier. Since both lighters are made primarily of metal and both have welded brass tanks, the only logical conclusion I can come to is that the Old Boy uses slightly thicker metal for every part. This is supported by the fact that pretty much everything about the Old Boy feels more rugged and solid than the Kiribi when you handle it and use it. That's not to say that the Kiribi feels flimsy. It's certainly a nice piece of kit. Just that it doesn't feel as solid.

Great comparison. I wanted to explain the weight difference though. Most or all of the weight difference--why the IM Corona is heavier and why the Kiribi holds more gas--is because IM Coronas have an internal tank and then a metal sleeve around the tank, while Kiribis those two pieces are one and the same: the outer case is also the tank.

I don't really think it practically makes a whole lot of difference in terms of functionality and durability, except that the Kiribi can hold more gas, while there's more flexibility in what's possible with the case (because it can be manufactured separately) for the Corona.

Sykes

Sir Yak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 15, 2022
Arkansas
Thanks for your nice write up/comparison. Sounds like they’re both great options. I have an Old Boy that I love but haven’t used muchThis year bc I need to send it in for service—the regulator valve it’s working. That’s after about 15 years of use.

It seems like the built in tamper in the old boys doesn’t get much love. I’ve heard many people say they’re lousy over the years but I always found it sufficient and liked not having to have a tamper handy too. I’ve been using a Rattrays lighter that is a sort of imitation of a DuPont that I really like but I need to go ahead and get that Old Boy fixed.

Butter Side Down

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jun 2, 2023
Chicago
Great comparison. I wanted to explain the weight difference though. Most or all of the weight difference--why the IM Corona is heavier and why the Kiribi holds more gas--is because IM Coronas have an internal tank and then a metal sleeve around the tank, while Kiribis those two pieces are one and the same: the outer case is also the tank.

I don't really think it practically makes a whole lot of difference in terms of functionality and durability, except that the Kiribi can hold more gas, while there's more flexibility in what's possible with the case (because it can be manufactured separately) for the Corona.

Sykes
Thanks for the clarification Sykes! Totally useful info.

Any chance you'd be willing to confirm or refute my conjecture that the Kiribi and Peterson's share a good amount of DNA?

Sir Yak

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 15, 2022
Arkansas
I've had my eye on the Rattray's Bel. Love the look of it but just don't know anything about it so I'd be really interested to hear more about your thoughts on yours.
I have the Rattrays Grand and like it a lot. Lights consistently. Looks nice. Seems to be refilled a bit more often than my Corona but not bad. I like snapping the lid shut and I like the huge striker wheel. It does not “ping” when you flip the lid open like the DuPont. I think you have to spend $1000 more to get a lighter that pings🤣. I have not regretted getting myself one. However if someone was debating between the Rattray and the Old Boy I’d recommend the Old Boy.