PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

dochudson

Lifer
May 11, 2012
if your family owns one what do you think? I understand they aren't a $600 laptop. I'm looking for something to surf, read, tunes, you-tube from my deck.
thanks

cyndi

Lifer
Nov 14, 2009
Flowery Branch, GA
My SIL has one and she seems happy with it. I got to play with it at Christmas and it was really nice and I liked that it does more than just read ebooks.

jonahtke

Can't Leave
Apr 26, 2012
My wife has one, it is ideal for the purposes of web browsing, steaming video via netflix and amazon prime, and their app store (love the free app of the day). If you want to read books...get something with e-ink. The backlit screen takes all of 30 seconds to give me a fierce headache when reading a book.

bentmike

Lifer
Jan 25, 2012
Ive been using my kindle fire since Christmas. It is awesome I use it daily for web surfing and reading. Using it right now actually. The screen can be overpowered in bright light outside but it is usable. Highly recommended.

wayneteipen

Can't Leave
May 7, 2012
I have one and enjoy it but if I had to do it over I would go with an iPad instead for web surfing. The screen size is just too small and zooming in and scrolling is a bit of a pain. If money is an issue though, I recommend the Kindle Fire to do a decent job for the price.

martiniman

Part of the Furniture Now
Apr 6, 2012
+1 on the Ipad. The Dunhill of portable electronics.

I will say i havent heard anything bad about the Kindle.

fnord

Lifer
Dec 28, 2011
Topeka, KS
My wife, an avid reader, has one and adores it. It goes everywhere she goes.
We just got back from a road trip through SW Missouri and she commented that she normally gets queasy reading in the car but the Kindle didn't bother her. Personally, I'm guessing the alternative of visiting with her parents: her dad suffers from early stage dementia and her mom is hands down one of the most self-centered and small minded people I've ever met would've had me fighting through waves of vomitus eruptus to keep my nose buried in an e-book.
End story? In-laws bad. Kindle good.

lankfordjl

Sep 29, 2011
Texas
I have a Kindle keyboard model with e-ink; I love it. I'm interested in getting the Kindle Fire but I don't know if I should order it now or wait. I keep hearing rumors that there will be a new version of it coming out later this year.

mrmccarthy

Might Stick Around
May 29, 2012
I have a Nook which is similar. Im using it right now. E-Books are really fun and easy to use. Internet works great as well and they are easy to transport. I don't know if the Nook or Kindle is better so look up a comparison.,

undecagon

Oct 7, 2011
Chicago, IL
iPhone w/ AT&T.
I "didn't" work for AT&T one summer.
My Father "hasn't" been w/ AT&T my whole life threw 4 company mergers.
I am "not" biased.
If you want something bigger though...iPad...w/ AT&T service.

brewshooter

Lifer
Jun 2, 2011
For the price, the Kindle Fire works great. It all depends on what you need out of it. Me, I use it to watch films and play games when traveling and to check email, when wifi is available. If you need full time connectivity, then go with something else. I always have my iPhone with me. The Kindle Fire is used only occasionally, but I consider it a bargain for what I'm getting out of it.

martiniman

Apr 6, 2012
We have iPad and Kindle with keyboard.
love them both, you cannot beat the kindle for reading, bright light ability and battery is unbelievable 20-30 days. this is the black and white kindle not the Fire.
If your going to read and only read, Kindle. everything else. iPad.

Status
Not open for further replies.