PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

surfmac211

Part of the Furniture Now
Oct 28, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I'll have to find some pictures and get them on my computer. I used to do the Highland Games when they come to Jacksonville, but haven't the last 2 years. Anyone ever been to the Grandfather Mountain Highland Games in North Carolina? If not you got to go at least once.

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
I'm marching in the Tartan Day Parade in NYC this weekend.

In uniform.

Though i'm technically Welsh, I think the Scots are fine fellows who just need a little help with their drinking :P

fatman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2011
Sure do. Have 3 of them, 2 from Sportkilt, the IRISH REVENGE and the ARMY TARTAN. I also have a 'formal' kilt of the Wexford Cnty tartan, where my family is from. I also am a member of my family names active Clan, which have their own tartan. beg to differ slightly Trucker Mason, the kilt in Ireland is very much a controversy, however, many historians say that the Kilt type article of clothing, (lein) were worn by Celtic warriors, Irish, Scotch. and those Irish serving in the British military. The more common known Kilt, ofcourse is of Scotland tradition, and ofcourse we, the Irish/American wear them w/pride. thos who choose to, ofcourse some don't! Agreed tho, that the Kilt is not a daily wear in Ireland. SLAINTE!

fatman

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 18, 2011
Romeo, I met a fine gal from Wales while visiting Ireland, she moved to Ireland cuz she too needed some guidance w/her drinking....which is total BS, she hung w/the best of them...THEM!

romeowood

Lifer
Jan 1, 2011
The Interwebs
lmao fatman...reminds me of a date i went on with another welsh lass...we drank a 300-lb biker under the table.

no, really, she and i finished an entire bottle of johnny walker red off, with the bartender pouring it down our gullets.

neither of us could stand too well after that.

luckily, we didn't have to. :mrgreen:

ichbinmuede

Feb 17, 2011
Well Bonnie...haha sorry Boots if you're a guy who knows how, or wants to try sewing here's a pattern for a kilt of your own! The Utilikilt is great and I really like mine and I'm sure that the Sportikilt is as well but this one could be truly yours and would mostly only cost you time. It can also be made to your preferences on material, pocket size, placement, and the number of pockets.

julesholling

Starting to Get Obsessed
Jan 19, 2011
Sutton, Surrey
Ok here's one of me wearing a kilt at the Nikon D3S Launch in Scotland.

Gotta ask the other guys on here though, does everyone wear them errrr 'traditional' so to speak?
DSC_0471_32.jpg

ichbinmuede

Feb 17, 2011
Haha I've always liked the term "regimental" myself. Typically yes I am but it depends on if I think I may be falling down at some point in the night if you know what I mean.

lyst36

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 28, 2011
I've never been one for the kilt. I'm a pants/shorts guy. I can see how one would appreciate it but I'm weird about that type of thing. I don't wear flip flops either.

pipetrucker

Sep 13, 2010
Following the white rabbit
many historians say that the Kilt type article of clothing, (lein) were worn by Celtic warriors, Irish, Scotch. and those Irish serving in the British military.
True, but the leine was technically not a kilt. More like a long shirt sort of thing. Either way, just not my style.

lagavulin92

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 20, 2010
I think I'm going to get a Utilikilt for the summer and a traditional Great kilt for fall and winter (all right I still got to think about the winter)

yuri66

Starting to Get Obsessed
Nov 17, 2010
The only problem with Kilts is when riding motorcycles, they seem to fly up and it all hangs out :rofl:

schmitzbitz

Lifer
Jan 13, 2011
Port Coquitlam, B.C.
I have a couple of great kilts, one in my grandfather's tartan (Gracey), the second simply the Stewart green, although they are a bit of a PITA to fold and don, since they are simply 8 yards by 4 yards of tartan, and require hand pleating every time I wish to wear them.

I also have a formal kilt in my grandfathers tartan for special occasions, although I haven't brought myself to purchase Ghillie Brougues; polished up "Garrison" military boots for me.
Always "Regimental", although running in deep snow sucks when doing so.
I've thought about buying a Utilikilt (the "Mockers" line, for work/golf); now I have to think about buying a Sportkilt or two too...
At work now, but I'll get some pics of my kilted self up eventually.

Jul 20, 2010
Thing about it is, I have room for my cigars, my pipe, a few pinches of tobacco, lighter, cutter, tool and a flask plus my cell (a pixi) wallet and Benchmade and it's not at all bulky!
Oh and there is the "lady" factor. When I was at RWA (Romance Writers of America Convention) I DID get a LOT of stares, women asking questions and wondering...if I wore the kilt properly. There are a few other advantages I'm sure I don't need to mention...

jasongone

Mar 23, 2011
i've wanted a utilikilt for awhile but i am just too damned cheap. but my mom is a sewing maniac and i think that while i am back at home for awhile i am going to be sitting down with her and make a couple.

Status
Not open for further replies.