Status
Not open for further replies.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Have you guys seen the 2013 version of The Great Gatsby? I liked it so much that I got one of the complete outfits.
kevin-gatsby.jpg

F. Scott Fitzgerald, the author of the book, was a long-time Brook Brothers customer. Brooks Brothers is even mentioned a couple of times in the book.
All of the wardrobe for the movie was designed based on early 1920s Brook Brothers catalogs.
Brooks Brothers is offering a Great Gatsby Collection of 9 of the outfits Leonardo DiCaprio wore in the movie.
I'm going to get the pink pinstripe too - just in time for summer.
Anyway, it's a great movie, and I highly recommend it.

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Kevin - All you need to complete the picture would be the 1929 Duesenberg Model J driven by Leonardo DiCaprio in the movie. (Note: Fitzgerald tho mentions Jay Gatsby driving a Rolls Royce, and the book was published in 1922). No matter. A great movie. But I liked Robert Redford in the role of Jay Gatsby better.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
Well, I drive my Mercedes about the same way he drives the Duesenberg in the movie. :wink:
1922 was the year of the Brooks Brothers catalog they used to design the costumes.
I'm going to order the Redford version to check it out.
I'm actually frustrated and surprised that there are none of the other versions of the movie available on my cable pay per view, nor at Best Buy. They both are missing an opportunity.

plateauguy

Lifer
Mar 19, 2013
I admire a man who knows what he likes !

You'll enjoy the Robert Redford version - haven't seen the new one yet. Happy WNTD !

taerin

Lifer
May 22, 2012
Your one classy guy Kev, I would love to dress like that and smoke a pipe in public.

admin

Smoking a Pipe Right Now
Staff member
Nov 16, 2008
St. Petersburg, FL
pipesmagazine.com
@joshwolftree - I got the outfit because I loved it. It was a nice coincidence that I had a matching pipe. I bought the pipe 3 - 4 years ago.
@rothnh - I'm normally a traditionalist, and would normally agree with you. However, I think they did such a good job of mixing in the modern music that if you didn't know any better - like if you were from another planet and saw the movie (or didn't know the history), you might think that was the actual music of the day.

homeatsea

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 6, 2013
I'm with Roth on this one. For me, music took away from it all but it was still a good watch. Kevin would fit right in with that suit/pipe combo.

gwtwdbss

Lifer
Jun 13, 2012
Woo hoo! I haven't seen The Great Gatsby yet but you do resemble Oz The Great and Powerful quite a bit!

kashmir

Lifer
May 17, 2011
Northern New Jersey
Redford's Great Gatsby.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C2N1f0z5zwA&feature=youtube_gdata_player
DiCaprio's Great Gatsby.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vuQhprtLJ3k&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Status
Not open for further replies.