PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

Status
Not open for further replies.

kschatey

Lifer
Oct 16, 2019
Ohio
I'm a massive fan of both Lexington's Town Branch Bourbon and Woodford Reserve, they are usually my go-to for an uncomplicated drink. Recently I've had the itch to explore something else though - any other Kentucky bourbons or ryes you fine gents can recommend?

Thanks in advance!
Henry McKenna 10 Year Single Barrel Bonded, but good luck finding it. It won an award in CA and it's been hard to find ever since.

For rye, Old Forester 100 Proof Rye is somewhat new, reasonably priced, and damn good. It's good straight and excellent for our "perfect" house Manhattans made using the Old Forester Rye, 50/50 Vya Sweet (red) and Extra Dry (white) Vermouth, and homemade maraschino cherries.

mawnansmiff

Lifer
Oct 14, 2015
Sunny Cornwall, UK.
Interesting that Paul's bottle of Kentucky Gentleman bourbon above states "Bottled by Barton Distilling Company" but not who actually distils the stuff.

I read somewhere that to be sure of the origins of your American whiskey, look out for 'distilled and bottled by.....'.

If the claim is either distilled by, produced by or bottled by then its origins could be anywhere.

Regards,

Jay.?

Jan 28, 2018
Sarasota, FL
I agree on the Old Forrester 1920, great hang for the buck. If you can find it, Rusell's Reserve Cask Select is a great bargain. Of course, you have Blanton's and Weller, both difficult to find and pricy. Stagg Jr is very nice. Whistling Pig makes a nice Rye.

Moonbog

Starting to Get Obsessed
Feb 22, 2020
Elijah Craig is really good. Nothing like the Woodford Reserve though.
Woodford is really smooth for a bourbon, to me it drinks like an Irish or Canadian whisky.
The Craig however struck me as much more complex, subtle smokiness after an initial pow like punch to the kisser. Craig is like a Scotch drinkers bourbon.. lots of flavor and transitions and strong. I miss the 12 y.o. but the stuff that's out there is still reasonably good. And it won't break the bank.

agnosticpipe

Lifer
Nov 3, 2013
In the sticks in Mississippi
Slight correction here in that the George Dickel 12 references recipe #12 and the whiskey is not actually aged for 12 years. Regardless, it’s a solid bottle and I keep no fewer than 2 on hand.
Yeah, I realized my mistake later, but it was too late to correct. Thanks for the correction. But like you say, it's still a good whiskey. Aww hell, there's so many I like, but my go to still seems to be Evan Williams.

crawdad

Lifer
Jul 19, 2019
Virginia
I'm going to throw this out there just for the groans. But truth is, I keep a bottle of Old Crow for when I want something with a bite.

Status
Not open for further replies.