Kendal Cream Flake by Samuel Gawith

SmokingPipes.com Updates

Watch for Updates Twice a Week

PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

For the record, I like quite a few Lakelands, except the ones with rose geranium. Those remind me of those little pink rose-shaped decorative soaps my grandmother would keep in her bathroom.
But, many if the other Lakeland sauces I don’t mind… but, I’d just prefer less of the sauce, which is why I usually order the unscented versions. The unscented versions used to still have hints of the sauce, but you could still taste those imperial strong tobaccos.

Reactions: Jacob74
Usually it is Rachel, but occasionally it is Chris, the daughter and son respectively of the late John and, very much alive , Irene Gawith. Not sure where the humor lies.
Just thought it was funny that he said it was a guy and keeper of the sauces. I’ve just heard that she was PR, usually the gaslighter of all criticisms.

chopper

Lifer
Aug 24, 2019
@condorlover1 a 20 pack of a budget brand is now $30.
My tobacconist said that many brands like B&H are no longer made here in Oz.
Certain American brands are imports [I'll have to remember to ask the price at my tobacconist. No doubt one pays a premium]

When the indexed six monthly tax increases started to bite, manufacturers needed to cut costs to keep prices as low as possible on their end.
They achieved this by buying lower quality tobacco for budget brands.

That's the story I heard from the tobacco company reps.

For around thirty years I smoked premium brands.
During the last few years smoking cigs, I smoked menthols to cover the taste of the cheap tobacco.

DanWil84

Lifer
Mar 8, 2021
The Netherlands (Europe)
The description of “tastes like Marlboro reds” does NOT entice me. So what does this taste like?

Sweet? Nutty? Floral? Earthy?
Oh but it is certainly enticing! Had one sample, but for what I can remember it had nutty notes with a creamy finish and it somehow coated my mouth like a cream liquor which reminded me of Baileys. I didn't get any floral notes from it, but when there is booz as a casing or flavoring thats what dominates for me next to the tobacco.

Reactions: Grangerous

rmbittner

Lifer
Dec 12, 2012
I’ve just heard that she was PR, usually the gaslighter of all criticisms.
With much respect, this seems unnecessarily dismissive of someone—regardless of gender—who seems to be going out of their way here to answer questions, address rumors, and correct falsehoods, all while representing one of the most storied and historic blenders still in operation.

Dr Drago

Lurker
Jan 30, 2023
Albuquerque, NM
I was recently enjoying a bowl of KC Flake and laughing at this thread!
I've struggled to describe what it is about this blend that I enjoy so much but the tin note description of freshly opened Marlboro Reds is spot on for me too 😄

Regardless, it's an absolutely tremendous smoke! Creamy smooth, yet strong with a luscious retrohale, and room note that my lady does not mind. Burns well when sufficiently dried and has never bit me.
A wonderfully unique topping which I don't find offensive in the slightest. Light sweetness, tonquin, chai spice, almond tea biscuits. Never any soap perfume and I think a lot of people skip out on it due to hesitation from what they've read in reviews. Very different essence to Ennerdale (which I do also find enjoyable). For me, I do pick up more nutty burley than virginia from it.
It's actually the Gawith blend that turned me on to their blends.
I love it.

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
Last time I smoked KC Flake, it reminded me of Panama Red, but I was heavily sauced on Johnny Walker Blue…

Back in my day, the proprietor of the bar at the KC hall, Emmett Clampet, sold only Lucky Strike cigarettes… L.S.M.F.T… Gotta be a segue here for some sappy old country brushead music…

• Love
Reactions: Briar Lee

hawky454

Lifer
Feb 11, 2016
Austin, TX
Kendal Cream is a favorite of mine, I get more of of milk and honey and a splash of rose water in my tea vibe from it, I smoked a lot of Marlboro cigs in my day, this blend has never reminded me of a cigarette but to each their own. The closest I can describe the topping is that it tastes very similar to Velvan Plug (I know, not very helpful).

lraisch

Part of the Furniture Now
Jul 4, 2011
Granite Falls, Washington state
$15 from Smoking Pipes.

When I was 14 years old in 1972, Nellie Butcher, owner of The Humansville Recreation Hall, sold several brands of cigarettes, without the slightest hesitation to me, on account of my tender age.

Tonight I just realized where the intoxicating, wonderful, indescribably good smell of a freshly opened pack of Marlboro King Size filters came from. Phillip Morris must have stolen or somehow aquired the secret Lakeland sauce used in Kendal Cream Flake.

Kendal Cream Flake tastes and smells like Marlboro reds.

KC Flakes are as mild, fragrant, and inhalable as a Marlboro, as well.

Highly recommended for wayward youth and old codgers, remembering when smoking was something new, and a previously forbidden pleasure of adulthood.

View attachment 189917View attachment 189918View attachment 189919View attachment 189920
I can't say your description of the tobacco appeals to me, but that is a beautiful pipe!

Reactions: Briar Lee