PipesMagazine Approved Sponsor

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
We have a lot of new members since this section was launched earlier this year. So it is fitting to remind people that there is a trove of information about Charatan and James Upshall contained in this section.

Ken trained at Charatan. His father was the general manager of Charatan. Ken became known as the greatest cutter of his time, and co-founded James Upshall with Barry Jones (edit/Al).

For 4 years, Ken generously shared his knowledge here at Pipes Magazine before his untimely death. This section contains the bulk of his posts, along with other member's posts needed for context. All entries are hot buttoned to open the original thread if so desired.

Last edited by a moderator:

sablebrush52

The Bard Of Barlings
Jun 15, 2013
Southern Oregon
jrs457.wixsite.com
Uh, I think you meant Barry Jones…
Ooops! Yes, senior brain fart. It's Barry Jones. Barry Nolan was one of the deans of American Visual FX, with whom I worked for many years. Sorry about that.

On a good note, this bumped the thread so that it doesn't disappear before more newbies see it and hopefully pay a visit to the section.

mso489

Lifer
Feb 21, 2013
He's too modest to say it, but sablebrush is the archivist who took the time to assemble this pipe making history for us all. Since it happened right here on Forums, it has particular pertinence. Barnes was a mover and shaker in the pipe world, but joined in the conversation here with an unassuming tone as if he was just another fella who enjoyed pipes (except that he was a major carver and pipe designer). So honors to sable for this work as our historian.

Aug 1, 2012
Thanks for the reminder. Tom Jones, George Jones, Barry Manilow, Barry Sax...whatever it takes to keep the gentleman's contributions to the pipe world in our minds. puffy rotf:sher:

Reactions: jpmcwjr

Papamique

Part of the Furniture Now
Mar 11, 2020
I was just talking with Rich Lewis a month or two ago about Ken and he was telling me some personal stories. Ken seemed like a great guy with a lot of pipe history and knowledge spanning decades who also shared it freely.

HawkeyeLinus

Lifer
Oct 16, 2020
Iowa
Now, if I can only find that unicorn Travis McGee Charatan!

Thanks for the reminder - I'd read some the last time it came up and this reminds me to read more!

craig61a

Lifer
Apr 29, 2017
Minnesota USA
I was very pleased when back several years ago Ken showed up on the forum.

His recall of all things Charatan and Upshall was simply amazing. And his willingness to share and pleasant demeanor…

ssjones

Staff member
May 11, 2011
Maryland
postimg.cc
I missed these bumps Jesse. Thank you for keeping his memory and field of work alive. We were very fortunate for his active participation and sharing of first hand experiences.

In a hobby full of very fine individuals, Ken Barnes stands quite tall. Much like the passing of Queen Elizabeth, it's not likely we'll see men of this stature and experience again.

May 9, 2021
Geoje Island South Korea
I missed these bumps Jesse. Thank you for keeping his memory and field of work alive. We were very fortunate for his active participation and sharing of first hand experiences.

In a hobby full of very fine individuals, Ken Barnes stands quite tall. Much like the passing of Queen Elizabeth, it's not likely we'll see men of this stature and experience again.
Very thoughtful and insightful of you to say so SS.